Young bird program

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

We have a possible young bird program. There are a couple of options. The BICC has 2 Guernsey races on the 20th August and 10th September. The BBC & CSCFC have combined again with Ashbourne 138 miles north road on 20th August and Guernsey on the 27th August. I have got plenty of youngsters and having a few old birds left probably need to test a few out depending on their moult. I will probably send a few to Ashbourne and may send to Guernsey depending on the weather. These are also any age races so could send the odd old bird if I want. I’m still not worried if they get a race or not.
I would still like to go North next season if there is a national doing so. It sounds like the marking for the first channel race with the BICC yesterday was a bit of a shambles and with only just over 2100 birds being sent, a 1000 few than on the North last week, it seems that a lot of members still aren’t up for all the hassle to fly the channel.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
George and Morgan

reading your post Andy how do you select which ybs to race and would you be changing anything on training good luck for the yb season
Buster121

George and Morgan wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:45 am reading your post Andy how do you select which ybs to race and would you be changing anything on training good luck for the yb season
Think they would need north and south training myself or even all four directions if possible
George and Morgan

i agree with you Steve
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:45 am reading your post Andy how do you select which ybs to race and would you be changing anything on training good luck for the yb season
It would depend greatly on the moult. I have found the last couple of years that severs youngsters will be too heavy in the moult to race. I will also be going through the breeding of the ones I’ve bred and if I have lost the parents or have doubts about the parents these will be the ones most likely to be raced.
I will train in a couple of directions but probably no more than 15 miles in any one direction.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

Good to see there are a few options for you racing your youngsters Andy, I agree that it wouldn't hurt to train the youngsters from all directions if possible. As you say I don't think you need to go too far and I know that some directions are far easier to travel in than others so time constraints then play a part. Sounds like a good way of selecting who to race but I think I would still train them all.
Good luck bruv

As for the BICC marking I think it depends who you talk to as to how it went !!! One of our members sent and reckoned it went very well, the only thing he did say was that it would have been different if it was raining as there was no where for people or birds to be under cover while waiting to be marked. There were bacon rolls available though 👍🤠 birdage was always going to be down for this one being as its the first race with only one marking station and the fact that alot of members still don't have their CPH numbers. I think the next race which is going to be combined with the BBC and CSCFC with more marking stations available will be much better supported.