Could I get some advice please.

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Diamond Dave
Great Britain

I have a 2yo w.hood cock that appears to have had an adverse reaction to the paramyxo virus jab.
Done all my birds at the same time and all the others appear to be ok including the young birds.
This one has gone from being my first bird back from racing for the last 2 weeks to just sitting with ruffled feathers and not listening/responding.
He has been going out with the others but goes straight up to the house roof and just sits there until the others come down and doesnt resond to my calls.
Its too much of a coincidence and to sudden for it not to be related to the jab.
Could it be the result of us jabbing him too deep or in the wrong place, if so what would be the consequences?
He is one of my birds for Pau and I dont know what I should be doing to get him back to where he was 4 days ago before the jab.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Buster121

Myself I would isolate him and let him rest for a few days, few years ago I thought I had lost an hen as, as soon as she was done she just like died then after a while she started to move but as if in the death throes for want of a better explanation, what I did was wrapped her in something to stop her wings flapping about and kept dipping her beak in water next day she was moving and gradually made full recovery and following year was raced again, I know different but showing another reaction to it and recovery
Devo1956

I would say its possible you have jabbed too deep, and may have caught the heart muscle. I would give him time to recover, when in Germany i was talking to the lads over there on this topic. They jab 3 times for Rota virus, PARAMYXO and Salmonella , when they were sending my birds to Germann OLR the jabbed the youngsters twice for Rota virus. I hope your bird improves.
Devo1956

I found this a good tip, when your jabbing your bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_kUtgDt50k
Zwols pigeons

Diamond Dave wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:53 am I have a 2yo w.hood cock that appears to have had an adverse reaction to the paramyxo virus jab.
Done all my birds at the same time and all the others appear to be ok including the young birds.
This one has gone from being my first bird back from racing for the last 2 weeks to just sitting with ruffled feathers and not listening/responding.
He has been going out with the others but goes straight up to the house roof and just sits there until the others come down and doesnt resond to my calls.
Its too much of a coincidence and to sudden for it not to be related to the jab.
Could it be the result of us jabbing him too deep or in the wrong place, if so what would be the consequences?
He is one of my birds for Pau and I dont know what I should be doing to get him back to where he was 4 days ago before the jab.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Can i ask why you are jabbing old birds this time of the year?
Diamond Dave
Great Britain

Hi Zwols, didnt think it mattered when you do them.
I do them at the same time as the young birds.
Young birds were ready and I thought Id give the racers a rest before Pau. So the timing was good all round.
Is it detrimental to jab them during the season?, didnt think it was supposed to affect them normally.
A lot of ppl do theirs twice now, so they must have to do it mid season.
When do you do yours mate.....
Andy

I personally wouldn’t jab during the racing season. Mine were jabbed after weaning the youngsters end of February when all the youngsters were also done. Won’t be doing mine again until next February.
As far as what to do with yours I think all you can do is give him time to recover. In all honesty probably finished for this season. I would remove him from your widowhood team as he may stop the others from exercising properly.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
NeilA

Diamond Dave wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:06 pm Hi Zwols, didnt think it mattered when you do them.
I do them at the same time as the young birds.
Young birds were ready and I thought Id give the racers a rest before Pau. So the timing was good all round.
Is it detrimental to jab them during the season?, didnt think it was supposed to affect them normally.
A lot of ppl do theirs twice now, so they must have to do it mid season.
When do you do yours mate.....

You can jab them when you want I use to do mine every June/ July I know people that like to jab them in the season as it can they say give them a boost but I wouldn’t know if it does
Murray

Andy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:31 pm I personally wouldn’t jab during the racing season. Mine were jabbed after weaning the youngsters end of February when all the youngsters were also done. Won’t be doing mine again until next February.
As far as what to do with yours I think all you can do is give him time to recover. In all honesty probably finished for this season. I would remove him from your widowhood team as he may stop the others from exercising properly.
Yes, I would just take him out of the team. No way of telling but I think the needle has hit a nerve or gone somewhere it shouldn't. He isn't going to be racing anytime soon.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
MIL

Straying very slightly off topic, but hopefully something of interest to someone

I used to jab our YB on the day of the last OB race.

By doing this, not only were they able to race the YB season but they were also covered for the entire OB season as yearlings too ;)