Cold East winds

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

There has been a debate in our federation again this week as to a possible change of race point due partly to the cold easterly winds and the fact that they are expecting birdage to be down due to the BICC race this weekend. It has been decided to leave things as they are so we will be going to Exeter which is 137miles to me. I'm not usually in favour of keep on cutting our races short but in this instance at this early stage of the season I would have been happy to come back to Blandford (75miles).
Personally I think we start too early these days, years ago the last weekend in April would have been our first race, these cold Easterly winds are no good for man nor beast. I will hopefully be sending as I need to get the birds prepared for the BICC/BBC races on the 14th of May, wherever they might be from !!! But will be much happier once the winds change but won't be holding my breath as the forecast for May isn't looking too promising with more cold weather on the horizon.
Murray

I have to agree with you in that, Trev. They seem to want to start too early, end thats everywhere.
I have a solution, I don't send them. Short days and cold winds are not racing weather, in my mind.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Trev

Again I do agree Muzza and there certainly are quite a few fliers around here who won't start for another couple of weeks. My biggest concern is that we don't have many shorter races after the first few weeks which means jumping birds straight into the bigger ones, I don't mind this with the older more experienced birds but do like the younger ones to have a couple of shiter ones before pushing them on.
Andy

I’m not worried about a bit of East in the wind. This weekend, although looking like being 14/15mph NE at liberation from Guernsey by the time they hit the mainland the winds are very light.
I think anyone looking to change races due to a bit of a cold East wind need to get a grip or find a different sport. No wonder so many birds are lost nowadays, they are never flown in anything less than perfect. The trouble is there is to much emphasis on sprint racing where fanciers want a tail wind every week. You won’t sort out good distance pigeons without them being tested in all conditions.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
killer

I’m always in favour of starting shorter than longer , also starting later ,but to many cowboys out there , east winds can be a problem but if short racers ,good pigeons will face into it ,as long as it’s not to strong ,if your a pigeon lover & leave them at ,hope your not breeding off those pigeons ,cheers
Murray

The weather in the south east of Australia can be quite cold and rough in the winter time. Yet they still insist on getting stuck into them in the middle of winter. This is to avoid racing in the extreme heat later in the year when the longest races are flown.
Understandable, except there is no compulsion to race the longest races right at the end. They could go the long distances a month earlier and be more likely to avoid the heat.

Anyway, we spent $10,000 on two refrigerated air conditioners 3 years ago, and have hardly used them. Maybe twice or three times last summer. The summers are getting cooler around here, the days of getting between 40 and 45 degrees for a week at a time, well, it just doesn't happen any more.

If the pigeon guys were interested, they could wait a month until the days are longer and the weather is milder, to start, and race right up to December.
They are not interested however. They have raced in the winter since Moses had a loft, and are not about to change now.
killer

Ever since the Poms came out here ,I would prefer Mid July ,with less racers ,
Murray

killer wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:35 am Ever since the Poms came out here ,I would prefer Mid July ,with less racers ,
Yep, there's that. :lol: