A bit of a project

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Andy

Not pigeon related at all but following Murray’s suggestion just putting a post up of a project I have for the next few weeks.
We brought this shop, freehold, 18 years ago and have made a few changes and improvements over the years. The plumbing has been a nightmare as much of the plumbing was put in just after the war when copper piping was made thinner to reduce costs. After all these years it has started to leak in places and as one part is repaired and replaced another bit goes. The wiring leaves a bit to be desired also. This is a really old building with many alterations and additions over the years.
At the back of the shop there is a timber extension that is over 25 years old. It’s used mainly for storage and for keeping pond fish during the summer. There used to be an outside area to it where pond plants were kept but we found it difficult to maintain and found we were putting more in the skip at the end of the season and with a minimum £400 order from the suppliers decided a long time ago to do away with that and incorporate that area into our garden. The timber extension is starting to leak like a sieve lol. I have decided to take the whole lot down and replace some of it with new but only about half of the size it is now. Making the garden even bigger.
This is the shed that I’m taking down.
0F304F37-C318-4128-BBE9-7358C308335F.jpeg
280E0552-823D-485B-AC45-8CC9A7B15C67.jpeg
DC2A4662-900F-426F-B6E8-233242D3A98A.jpeg
This is the inside.
6007ADA5-38B0-4075-A1CF-5AB365DF918B.jpeg
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

Yep, that's about ready to come down. All by itself shortly. :lol:
It will look tidier without that there, Andy.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Trev

That is certainly quite a project Andy, you could be having a fair few trips to the dump over the coming weeks then bro 👍😂 what are doing with the pond fish !! Are you not going to sell them anymore ??? It will certainly give you a lot more space in the garden for your seating area.
Andy

Trev wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:42 am That is certainly quite a project Andy, you could be having a fair few trips to the dump over the coming weeks then bro 👍😂 what are doing with the pond fish !! Are you not going to sell them anymore ??? It will certainly give you a lot more space in the garden for your seating area.
I’m thinking about filling the pond in so a lot could be well buried in the bottom of that. We are still going to sell pond fish and should still have room for the fish vats in the area I re-build.
Last year we brought a gazebo for the garden.
39CA211C-6CD9-427C-A8EF-9E3DB9B097FB.jpeg
2CCDB30E-5123-49F1-BF7A-1F8DCA779EEF.jpeg
We brought another even better one at the end of last year that is too big to go where the one did last year but will fit in nicely into the area where the part of the shop is taken down. I also have a lot of stone and rubble in the garden that is difficult to get rid of but will all help to fill the hole in where the pond is. It is 6 feet deep lol. It’s just a case Of getting the time to do anything. Hopefully after the clocks change tomorrow I will have a bit of time in the evenings after work.
Murray

Will you sell the big fish in the pond, Andy?
They would be worth lot of money, fish that big.
Murray

If you are going to fill the pond, you will be able to throw in all sorts of stuff that's been lying around for years.
Then if you realise in a few years time that you really want it, you can be Tony Robinson, organise a Time Team expedition and dig it up! :D :D :lol:
Andy

Murray wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:37 pm Will you sell the big fish in the pond, Andy?
Some of the fish I will be able to sell in the shop but the big koi probably not. Although they could be worth a fair bit they are also quite old. Some are the original ones that I put in there when I dug the pond about 15 years ago. The problem is that I don’t have anywhere to hold the big ones while trying to sell them. I will have to drain the pond to be able to catch them. One of Roxanna’s cousins has a small lake that we may put the bigger ones into.
I have a few issues with the pond. It does leak a bit now and are forever having to top it up. It’s in the wrong place really now as when dug I didn’t have the pigeons and I want to put a bigger aviary on the stock section where the filter box for the pond is.
CC53322E-A0BC-40D8-9F8C-5979587DCF9F.jpeg
C0328FF5-AB52-47DF-BE5E-8E715CE9A388.jpeg
DAA45FAF-914E-45AB-B33F-10FCA4903BAF.jpeg
Trev

You have got some cracking looking fish there Andy, hopefully you will find homes for them. It's a shame you are going to fill the pond in but I know you've been thinking about it for a while now, it will certainly solve a few problems for you and it will be good for you to be able to extend the aviary. Look forward to following this story bro 👍😀
Murray

Andy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:12 pm
Murray wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:37 pm Will you sell the big fish in the pond, Andy?
Some of the fish I will be able to sell in the shop but the big koi probably not. Although they could be worth a fair bit they are also quite old. Some are the original ones that I put in there when I dug the pond about 15 years ago. The problem is that I don’t have anywhere to hold the big ones while trying to sell them. I will have to drain the pond to be able to catch them. One of Roxanna’s cousins has a small lake that we may put the bigger ones into.
I have a few issues with the pond. It does leak a bit now and are forever having to top it up. It’s in the wrong place really now as when dug I didn’t have the pigeons and I want to put a bigger aviary on the stock section where the filter box for the pond is.

CC53322E-A0BC-40D8-9F8C-5979587DCF9F.jpeg

C0328FF5-AB52-47DF-BE5E-8E715CE9A388.jpeg

DAA45FAF-914E-45AB-B33F-10FCA4903BAF.jpeg
I had look and it seems Koi can live for a long time, properly cared for. If you advertise them as being a certain size and about 15 years old, you might be surprised how much interest you get.
Andy

I had a customer who has also done a lot of work on our property the last couple of years. Redoing a flat roof on our utility room and fitting new windows and doors. He said that he would get me the OSB sheets and roofing felt for me to do the project mentioned at his trade price. 10 sheets of 1220 x 2440 OSB and 2 rolls of heavy duty roofing felt. He had a look at what I was proposing and suggested that the boards already there weren’t in bad condition and weren’t spongy and maybe I could just re-felt it. We got up onto the roof to inspect it. We walked over it and it didn’t seem to bad. I said to him that this was the worst part and when I stood on it my leg went straight through lol.
EC6DB537-5CE4-4834-A550-8BF24670065D.jpeg
0A257716-4755-4167-87B0-7759FAC3ADB8.jpeg
C31A667A-2FE2-4EE9-AF62-156FC891E2C2.jpeg
We agreed that it probably would be better to replace it all.