Is it worth changing food

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Muzza

February 14th, 2020, 12:58 am

I am terrible for overfeeding.

I constantly have to stop myself from just giving them another handful...... :)
Regards,

Murray
jmccall

February 14th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Good guide is one closed handful to 3 birds if they clear everything another handful until a bit of barley left or if they start messing before finishing remove what’s left and it goes straight in before next feed
You won’t go far wrong like that
Muzza

February 14th, 2020, 8:42 pm

jmccall wrote:
Good guide is one closed handful to 3 birds if they clear everything another handful until a bit of barley left or if they start messing before finishing remove what’s left and it goes straight in before next feed
Spot on, jmccall.
Regards,

Murray
paul1

February 15th, 2020, 8:51 am

ok cut right back on food, roughly a small handful. i'll see how it goes, with just two birds at the minute the food will last ages.
chrisg

February 15th, 2020, 7:58 pm

If they are leaving any food then you are definitely over feeding and they will be fat in no time. You need to get them back on track, what I do if I,ve been giving too much is miss a feed altogether, just give them water then start again with a lighter feed. Even in the race season this gets them back and under your control again.
ConorP

February 16th, 2020, 12:21 am

Muzza wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 8:42 pm
jmccall wrote:
Spot on, jmccall.
Won’t go far wrong with that advice mate, If any mess about don’t feed any more and they will soon listen to you after a few days.
Muzza

February 17th, 2020, 9:46 am

paul1 wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 8:51 am
ok cut right back on food, roughly a small handful. i'll see how it goes, with just two birds at the minute the food will last ages.
Mate, with 2 pigeons, I will give you 2 bits of advise.

First, throw the barley away. They don't like it and don't need it.

Second, give them a nice feed in the morning, and a nice feed at night. If you can, don't leave any feed in the shed during the day. A pigeon being fully fed twice a day does not need food in the loft.

Of course I don't know your circumstances, but if you can use a twice daily feeding plan, you will be their best friend in no time. :D
Regards,

Murray

Return to “Health & Feeding”