Wiggle tail

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Muzza

February 12th, 2020, 10:05 am

Muzza wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:09 am
rainbow wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 7:57 am
was it Charles Darwin that said if you cross a large pigeon with a small pigeon you will get large and small ybs
I don't know. A lot of things which Darwin is supposed to have said, are not always accurately recorded. He has been credited with saying a lot of things which he never said. It's a topic for another thread. :D

However,that is correct, if you cross a large animal and a small one, hoping to breed a medium sized one, you will probably fail.
I think it is a bit like Albert Einstein, who has been credited with the 'Definition of insanity' so my times, it has become accepted as fact. It is, very probably, apocryphal.
Regards,

Murray
rainbow

February 12th, 2020, 11:14 am

and just like penicillin
killer

February 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm

I think Mendel was the Pea Man : & Darwin was the Creation Man , Yep Darwin was.a Pigeon man as well , but show birds ,that’s were he got a lot of his ideas from on Creation & different types etc ,he also liked to travel ,even coming out here ,
Muzza

February 12th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Mendel's work revealed the effects of dominant and recessive genes too.

Genetics is so interesting. I wish I understood it better.
Regards,

Murray
Andy123

February 12th, 2020, 8:21 pm

I love genetics myself and think it helps when it comes to selecting pairings knowing how the genes are likely to be transmitted.
Dad had a very good book on genetics that I loved reading. Can you remember what it was called Trev and do you still have it? I think it was called something like the strain makers.
trench

February 12th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Andy123 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:21 pm
I love genetics myself and think it helps when it comes to selecting pairings knowing how the genes are likely to be transmitted.
Dad had a very good book on genetics that I loved reading. Can you remember what it was called Trev and do you still have it? I think it was called something like the strain makers.
Its called Breeding better pigeons by G.H.T Tovin Andy and yes I still have it 👍
I also have The technique of of breeding racing pigeons by old hand, the pigeon fancier by old hand, the four seasons by Joseph Heuskin and the secret of speed by E.J Sains 👍🤠

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”