Wiggle tail

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Muzza

February 10th, 2020, 8:54 am

I mentioned a pigeon wiggling it's tail, on another post. It's an interesting thing.

When I have been discussing racing pigeon health and form with other fanciers, I have sometimes mentioned a hen wiggling it's tail.

Often they look at you like you are speaking a strange language! :lol:

'What?", they say. :?: They haven't a clue.

And some of these blokes are not novices, by any means.

Extraordinary.
Regards,

Murray
devo56

February 10th, 2020, 9:22 am

The funny thing about the sport, some people don't know what they have in their loft. You have to treat all your birds as individuals, by doing so you soon learn their different traits. That is why they have the own ID, Top tip to any novice get to know your birds.
trench

February 10th, 2020, 7:11 pm

devo56 wrote: ↑
February 10th, 2020, 9:22 am
The funny thing about the sport, some people don't know what they have in their loft. You have to treat all your birds as individuals, by doing so you soon learn their different traits. That is why they have the own ID, Top tip to any novice get to know your birds.
Very true Devo πŸ‘
trench

February 10th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Muzza wrote: ↑
February 10th, 2020, 8:54 am
I mentioned a pigeon wiggling it's tail, on another post. It's an interesting thing.

When I have been discussing racing pigeon health and form with other fanciers, I have sometimes mentioned a hen wiggling it's tail.

Often they look at you like you are speaking a strange language! :lol:

'What?", they say. :?: They haven't a clue.

And some of these blokes are not novices, by any means.

Extraordinary.
I have to admit Muzza that in all the years I have kept pigeons I have never noticed a hen wiggle πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ but I know one thing I will be watching for it now πŸ‘πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ€£
rainbow

February 11th, 2020, 8:24 am

Dad always spread a pigeons tail when handling a bird as did most old fanciers there was a maybe Dutch fancier who would only pair 2 birds were the main tail flight was wide on the right to a bird that was wide on the left it's difficult for me to explain will try and put a photo of a tail feather
Muzza

February 11th, 2020, 8:31 am

rainbow wrote: ↑
Dad always spread a pigeons tail when handling a bird as did most old fanciers there was a maybe Dutch fancier who would only pair 2 birds were the main tail flight was wide on the right to a bird that was wide on the left it's difficult for me to explain will try and put a photo of a tail feather
Nope, nothing to do with it! :D

Got to get off now, I will explain later.
Regards,

Murray
rainbow

February 11th, 2020, 8:43 am

and you know this for certain
Andy123

February 11th, 2020, 9:27 am

I do remember that theory from years ago George. The theory was that the best position of the quill in the top tail feather was central. So the idea was to pair pigeons that had the quill to the left, which I think was preferred to right, to a pigeon whose quill was to the right to bring the offsprings quill more central. I do remember looking at mine at the time and even looked at pairings with this in mind. Can’t remember what the outcome was but not something a continued with.
Muzza

February 11th, 2020, 9:55 am

February 11th, 2020, 8:43 am
and you know this for certain
Well, as well as Gregory Mendel's experiments with peas allow us to be certain.

Every pigeon has 2 parents, 4 grand parents, 8 great grands, then 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024...

A pigeon born today, has 1024 ancestors in it first 10 generations.

So if you pair a left tail cock to a right tail hen, you have almost no chance of breeding a middle tail baby, because it disregards the genetic influence of the other 1022 grand parents.
Regards,

Murray
Muzza

February 11th, 2020, 10:05 am

The wiggle tail is a behaviour which is so subtle as to be almost imperceptible.

If you have put clean paper and a clean nest bowl in a mucky nest box, for example, when the hen goes up to the box, if you are alert, you might see a her give a tiny shiver down her back, ending in a wiggle of her tail. You have to know it to see it.

It is a sign of contentment.
Last edited by Muzza on February 11th, 2020, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Murray

Return to β€œChat Racing Pigeon”