Good read on PFL

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Rich123

December 4th, 2019, 8:44 am

Got this from another site hope your ok with it being posted on here.

A fancier from Edinburgh recently called me to thank me for advice I gave him regarding PFL. I'll give you the short version of the story, he called me 3 years ago reporting a pigeon of mine. He explained to me he was going to give up the sport as his PFL was so bad that he needed oxygen and that the hospital was really concerned about the state his lungs were in. I suggested vitamin D and C, but mainly vit D. He said to his doctor about having his vit D level checked and this was done. It turned out his reading was only 4 when it shouldve been 200. He was put on a double doze but his reading only went up to 50. They upped the dosage again and now, after attending the chest clinic at least once a month he had a letter through the post stating his chest was unbelievably better and he didnt need to attend the clinic for a year. He was ecstatic and phoned me up to thank me. He wears a 'press and check' mask and an overcoat in the loft but has no problems whatsoever with the PFL now. Please ask your doctor about a vitamin D check if you suffer from PFL.
Sayers bros of skinningrove 1st unc Eastbourne. 1st unc lillers. 2nd unc folkestone. 2nd unc lillers. 2nd unc folkestone. 2nd unc Eastbourne & 2nd nehu open 26,062 birds.3rd unc folkestone. 3rd unc lillers. 3rd unc maidstone.
devo56

December 4th, 2019, 8:56 am

I am back at the Hospital next week for lung test, I have minimised as much as i can. More Ventalation in loft, loft coat, mask, gloves. and less time with the birds. Will check out vit D when I see the doctor thanks Rich.
buster121

December 4th, 2019, 11:22 am

I have been taking vit d for about 2 years now, just buy mine from chemists
Andy123

December 4th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Good piece of advice Rich.
trench

December 4th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Good article Rich and very interesting, thanks for posting and glad the fancier concerned is doing well, best wishes to him.
Sadly our Dad died from PFL, the same disease affects people in so many different industries, (farmers lung, cheese makers lung, builders lung, engineers lung the list goes on) if vitamin D makes that much difference I would think many people not just pigeon men would benefit. It is surprising how rough being vitamin D deficient can make you feel.
Vitamin D is the one vitamin that can't be controlled by diet and can only be obtained from the sun, there are some foods ( mostly cereals) that now have fortified vitamin D in. It is the one vitamin that doctors would recommend taking supplements for. Funnily enough since we have been using these Factor 50+ skin creams to help prevent skin cancer the vitamin D deficiency is becoming a bigger problem as the sun can't get through, combat one problem and cause another.

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”