Strong toe nails

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Muzza

December 2nd, 2019, 7:57 am

I put a picture of a hen on the 'Old Hens' show competition.

Buster picked up on the fact that she has grown big strong claws. He doesn't miss much, that Buster! :D

The thing is, a bit over a year ago that hen had been through a searching training program, which ended in flying three hours on her own. She was set up for her first race, which I have no doubt she would have won. :D

Then we got a bit of the Rota virus. None died, but they were not well for a while. But that finished any idea of racing.

Now, when that hen, (her name is Twinkie, because of the tiny white mark on the back of her head, like a bit of Twink ), was in training, she had nice little claws. After 12 months out of training, she is growing big strong toe nails.

Does that mean they're over the hill?
Regards,

Murray
Andy123

December 2nd, 2019, 10:32 am

Interesting thought Murray and well spotted Buster. Had never thought about the toenails before being an indication of anything.
Could it be a result of having had rota virus? I know fingernails, toenails, and hair, on us can be affected by many factors especially trauma and illness.
I have a toenail that was crushed by a tractor drawbar falling on it 30 odd years ago, never grown properly since.
buster121

December 2nd, 2019, 12:31 pm

Certainly not over the hill mate, just needs a little trim lol lol the only reason I noticed is because some of my prisoner stock have long ones and I have to trim them every so often, for some reasons birds need different floor types on regular basis to keep claws in check, most of my prisoner have a concrete floor in Aviary and wood on loft floor but still grow long
trench

December 2nd, 2019, 6:36 pm

Well spotted Buster 👍
I have no idea Muzza mate 🤣😂 I can't say its anything I have ever taken much notice of. It could just be a genetic thing, I know with chickens some get longers nails than others for no apparent reason as do canaries and budgies.

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”