Beautiful Stray.

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Muzza

November 5th, 2019, 10:06 am

Strayed one in this afternoon

A Melbourne pigeon, a 2yo hen. Beautiful blue chequer. Chip ring and all sorts of marker rings.

Looked it up on the pigeon race site, they were liberated to fly 600 miles from South Australia yesterday. So it had flown over 500 miles. Pretty hungry but in lovely order.

I messaged the Fed with my details. You would think anyone would be very pleased to get a pigeon like that back.

I hope I hear from it's owner. I am not holding my breath.....
Regards,

Murray
PVDMR

November 5th, 2019, 11:09 am

A stray :)

One fine windy day, a few years back,my birds were out flying around,I noticed a blue cock in amongst them
not long after I shouted them in for there feed,in dropped this Big powder blue cock,with a Belgian ring along
with its race rubber, ( What a fantastic handling bird,I’ve ever handled,and strong wow
Perfect head,bright eyes,along with a fairly large wattle....he stood out amongst mine,like a bright light
he was a Stunner
On the second day I reported this cock to the Belgian authorities
Meanwhile ..4/5 days went by he had option to go out with my birds for their free fly, But he decided to remain in the loft each day.apart from a bath.
On the 6th day,I came home around 12.30 for my dinner,on entering my garden I heard a commotion on wired front of my loft. ( it was this cock hanging on the wires flapping around like mad )
I thought your Ready lad,let’s have you away
Without any delay I released that cock,he circled once and headed SE then he was gone
Not long after I received a letter from that cocks owner from Belgium thanking me for looking after him
It turned out to have been a Bad race,with hundreds of birds gone missing.
he dropped in the next morning at his loft
Still remember that blue powder cock...he was ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Atb
You can buy The Mans Winning pigeons
BUT not the Man that flys them!!
buster121

November 5th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Glad he got home safely and the owner acknowledged you
trench

November 5th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Muzza wrote:

A Melbourne pigeon, a 2yo hen. Beautiful blue chequer. Chip ring and all sorts of marker rings.

Looked it up on the pigeon race site, they were liberated to fly 600 miles from South Australia yesterday. So it had flown over 500 miles. Pretty hungry but in lovely order.

I messaged the Fed with my details. You would think anyone would be very pleased to get a pigeon like that back.

Hope you find out who she belongs to mate, as you say she can certainly fly and deserves another chance.
trench

November 5th, 2019, 9:46 pm

PVDMR wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 11:09 am
A stray :)

One fine windy day, a few years back,my birds were out flying around,I noticed a blue cock in amongst them
not long after I shouted them in for there feed,in dropped this Big powder blue cock,with a Belgian ring along
with its race rubber, ( What a fantastic handling bird,I’ve ever handled,and strong wow
Perfect head,bright eyes,along with a fairly large wattle....he stood out amongst mine,like a bright light
he was a Stunner
On the second day I reported this cock to the Belgian authorities
Meanwhile ..4/5 days went by he had option to go out with my birds for their free fly, But he decided to remain in the loft each day.apart from a bath.
On the 6th day,I came home around 12.30 for my dinner,on entering my garden I heard a commotion on wired front of my loft. ( it was this cock hanging on the wires flapping around like mad )
I thought your Ready lad,let’s have you away
Without any delay I released that cock,he circled once and headed SE then he was gone
Not long after I received a letter from that cocks owner from Belgium thanking me for looking after him
It turned out to have been a Bad race,with hundreds of birds gone missing.
he dropped in the next morning at his loft
Still remember that blue powder cock...he was ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Atb
Nice story Stu, its nice to know that birds we have had in make it home. Its funny how these strays let us know when its time for them to go. I have to say over the years I have had a fair few continental strays in and all of have disappeared once they knew they were fit enough. I had a young French Stray this year that was here about a fortnight before she up and left. Also had a Scottish one, he was here about a week before he started vanishing for a day or two at a time but on each occasion did come back until after about three weeks one day he obviously felt ready to head for home. Sadly neither of these birds were wing stamped or had address rings on so I never found out if they made it home or not, I like to think they did.
Muzza

November 6th, 2019, 7:33 am

Muzza wrote:

I was in my office this morning, when I got a call.

The owner of the stray. He was very grateful and immediately gifted it to me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is a beautiful pigeon, and after a longer conversation it turns out that this is the third year it has gone to the 600 mile race. You have to realise that ages in Australia are calculated differently. She went as a 'yearling', i.e. a big young bird, then went again last year as a '2yo', what we would call a yearling, and was sent back this year as what they call a 3yo here.

I reckon she was chased by a hawk, because she is a bit off line. But she has still flown 500 miles before finding a safe place here.

I let her out this afternoon, figuring it's only 120 miles to it's home. She had a fly around with the spoilt brigade, and is still here tonight.

She has had enough. They all have a point where they give up. I think this little darling has reached it.

She is welcome here. I am scheming about a mate for her....
Regards,

Murray
Andy123

November 6th, 2019, 8:02 am

Great update Murray. You may find that she decides to go at some point. That’s what I like to do though. I just leave them with mine and they can come and go and then go when ready. Trouble is most I have in seem to prefer it here and stay 😂😂😂😂
Muzza

November 6th, 2019, 8:16 am

Mmm.

This one might be a bit different.

I plan to get her mated and down on eggs before she changes her mind.

It is bred off proper long distance Federation toppers. It should have had a Fed result at 500miles, but it's sister beat it in. Over here they don't clock all of them just the first one.

It is a fabulous wee hen. She must have flown more than 4000 miles in long races over 3 seasons.
Regards,

Murray
devo56

November 6th, 2019, 9:26 am

Muzza wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:16 am
Mmm.

This one might be a bit different.

I plan to get her mated and down on eggs before she changes her mind.

It is bred off proper long distance Federation toppers. It should have had a Fed result at 500miles, but it's sister beat it in. Over here they don't clock all of them just the first one.

It is a fabulous wee hen. She must have flown more than 4000 miles in long races over 3 seasons.
Go for it Murray she will reward you mate.
trench

November 6th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Muzza wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 7:33 am
Muzza wrote:

I was in my office this morning, when I got a call.

The owner of the stray. He was very grateful and immediately gifted it to me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is a beautiful pigeon, and after a longer conversation it turns out that this is the third year it has gone to the 600 mile race. You have to realise that ages in Australia are calculated differently. She went as a 'yearling', i.e. a big young bird, then went again last year as a '2yo', what we would call a yearling, and was sent back this year as what they call a 3yo here.

I reckon she was chased by a hawk, because she is a bit off line. But she has still flown 500 miles before finding a safe place here.

I let her out this afternoon, figuring it's only 120 miles to it's home. She had a fly around with the spoilt brigade, and is still here tonight.

She has had enough. They all have a point where they give up. I think this little darling has reached it.

She is welcome here. I am scheming about a mate for her....
Pleased to hear the owner contacted you Murray, at least you now know who she belonged to and a bit about her background. They certainly have to work from a young age over there mate, she has done very well in such a short time and as you say something obviously happened to her on her route home to stop her completing the journey. As Andy says she could well head for home again when she feels ready, I hope you manage to get some youngsters from her before she does as they could be a great addition to your team.

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”