Motivation

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
stevekulpa

October 11th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Andy123 wrote: ↑
October 11th, 2019, 5:46 pm
Lovely looking birds Steve. I expect some of 193s lower results were only because he was beaten by loft mates.
Yes Andy they were
trench

October 12th, 2019, 10:53 am

Looks like an interesting thread, will read this one a little later πŸ˜€πŸ‘
stevekulpa

October 12th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Hi Trevor ,welcome back hope you had a nice holiday
trench

October 13th, 2019, 11:11 am

stevekulpa wrote: ↑
October 12th, 2019, 3:40 pm
Hi Trevor ,welcome back hope you had a nice holiday
Cheers Steve, it was a lovely break mate.
trench

October 13th, 2019, 11:57 am

Some good and valuable points made here by all and great to get an incite into some of the many different ways of keeping and racing pigeons.
As has already been said whatever motivational methods are used and be it cocks or hens the quality of the birds and condition us as fanciers get them in is obviously key to their safe and quick return and the level of success we achieve. I do however believe that there is also an element of luck as we can not predict or prepare for what our birds might face on route home especially as the distances get longer, yes top class pigeons will usually still take top spot but many could and do still get lost along the way. Back in the 80s my 1st Thurso (552mls) winner won it on the last day of the race, she was the only bird in the club and only a handful made it home in the fed. Now was she the best bird in the race, probably not but she didn't give up and luck was on her side. Would she have won if it had been a blow home, probably not but she was the best on that day in those conditions. My 2nd Thurso winner however was in the top 6 of the club on 3 occasions each time being clocked on the winning day, this hen was barren so purely raced to the loft.
I also believe that some fanciers birds just don't suit another's methods no matter how good their pedigree is, how many of us over the years have had birds from fanciers that are winning out of turn but just can't do a thing with them.
We not only need to find a method that works for us but birds that suit our methods.
Where we live obviously makes a big difference to our success especially from the shorter races where the wind direction each week will usually determine where the winners will be, the spread of our clubs and federations will also play a massive part each week as the drag will usually sort out the winners and losers, this doesn't necessarily mean that the losers are always the worst pigeons.
Now back to the main point of this post, I have always raced Natural with the birds being on open loft at times and being exercised twice daily at other times depending on where I have lived. I couldn't honestly say that either method worked any better than the other but I can say that all my best distance results were achieved by hens.
The one point that hasn't been made yet and I think possibly the most important is that all animals biggest driving instinct is survival and that at the end of the day all head for where there is food, water and most of all "safety", if our birds don't feel safe at home then I believe that will massively affect their drive and desire to get back.
trench

October 13th, 2019, 12:52 pm

October 8th, 2019, 7:47 pm
This is my opinion only Muzza but your comment about widowhood being the best way to fly I don't agree with. I have two hens in the stock loft both were retired last year with 4 fed wins each and they beat our cocks in those races, Fanciers who Know us know that our hens are as good as the cocks. If you get all what Dev put in his post right then cock or hen will not matter.
Where do our hens get there motivation from ? it must be the love of home and knowing nothing else but to race home as fast as they can, We also have hens that will out trap the cocks every time when they come together. One thing you may not know is our hens are never paired up ,the first time they pair to a cock is when they retire.
As for form this year our inland birds raced from mid April through to mid September winning right through, some had only 1 week off that was the weeks break mid season so some would have had 21 races, but these would be our inland sprint birds racing up to 140miles, but even so you have to manage them if they need a week off they will tell you if your observant enough. Not all raced right through as when they go in to heavy moult we stop them so the numbers we send reduce weekly
Also There are no secrets here just dedication and hard work.
Some stats for you to ponder over with This year results.

20 1st clubs 10 with cock birds 11 with hens
7 1st feds 4 with cocks 3 with hens, But 3 of these 1st fed's belong to our champion cock 193 who now has Ten 1st feds
so you can see by these at our lofts the sex of the bird dose not matter if the system is right.

Steve
Some cracking looking birds Steve and excellent results too, a credit and testament to the time and effort you and Paul put in.
I think this is the key to being a successful, top class fancier. Like any other sport if you want to be the best you need the dedication and work ethic to achieve your goals and Team Kulpa certainly put in the hours so the results are well deserved.
One question mate, you say that you don't encourage the hens and youngsters to pair up but how do you prevent it ???
trench

October 13th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Another note I personally think that these winter months are where many fanciers fail as it is too easy on these cold, dark wet days to let the routine and care slip. If we lose our focus and discipline through the winter then it becomes an uphill struggle to get the birds right for breeding and racing next season.
stevekulpa

October 13th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Trevor your question is , you say that you don't encourage the hens and youngsters to pair up but how do you prevent it ??? We cannot prevent it, if they pair they pair but by not putting the bowls in all week only on a Friday that helps this year a lot of the race hens paired themselves up and were laying then all they want to do is get back to there eggs and not exercise we tried leaving them this year but we wouldn't do it again although when 738 and 79 were paired they had two perches and sat together all the time they won 7 x 1st feds between them so they obviously were happy to race home 738 is now in the stock loft and has bred a YB this year to finish 3d club behind two of our old birds. unfortunetly 79 was lost in what would have been her last race before being retired. Both these hens were bred from 1st and 2nd national so its in there blood to race well.
Steve
trench

October 13th, 2019, 9:11 pm

October 13th, 2019, 6:41 pm
Trevor your question is , you say that you don't encourage the hens and youngsters to pair up but how do you prevent it ??? We cannot prevent it, if they pair they pair but by not putting the bowls in all week only on a Friday that helps this year a lot of the race hens paired themselves up and were laying then all they want to do is get back to there eggs and not exercise we tried leaving them this year but we wouldn't do it again although when 738 and 79 were paired they had two perches and sat together all the time they won 7 x 1st feds between them so they obviously were happy to race home 738 is now in the stock loft and has bred a YB this year to finish 3d club behind two of our old birds. unfortunetly 79 was lost in what would have been her last race before being retired. Both these hens were bred from 1st and 2nd national so its in there blood to race well.
Steve
Thanks for the reply Steve, I thought you might have had a little trick up your sleeve :lol: :lol:
It does sound like 738 and 79 were well suited together and did you proud mate, a real shame 79 was lost, hope 738 breeds you many more winners.
Since being back in the sport and flying in the South coast fed I had resigned myself to the fact that I was never going to compete with the widowhood fanciers, I feel that your response to me proves that in the right hands quality will shine through regardless of sex and the methods used.
I'm not saying I'm going to now go on and win every week, not sure I have either the right hands or the quality of birds :lol: :lol: I will continue to enjoy trying though πŸ˜€πŸ‘
Andy123

October 13th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Going well for you so far Bruv. I’m sure your continue to improve things and get some great results.

Return to β€œChat Racing Pigeon”