Maggots

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Potter29

September 13th, 2019, 11:49 am

Got called round to mates loft yesterday sfternoon he said his birds have some wet droppings with small white worms crawling init , i went round to have a look on inspection to me wot he thought was wet droppings was vomit or brown stodgy diahrea and yes there was little white things crawling init but ive seen worms in pigeons before n to me these were maggots tiny maggots white in colour with the black dot at the thinner end , there was few flies in loft so my thoughts were birds been sick flies laying eggs init n hatching ? He scraped out we went for a brew n went bk to loft to check again there was one fresh pile of wet dropping/sick not sure wich as didnt see it , any how on checkin this it was crawling with these maggots so that was my theory out the window !! anyone ever heard of this before ive searchd net high n low for pics etc for him but nothhing ! Any advice be great to pass on ?
stevekulpa

September 13th, 2019, 1:13 pm

May Be thread worms same as humans get they are small white and look like skinney maggots kids had them when they were small. I think you used Prepsin from the chemist to get rid of them ,Don't know if it will work on pigeons thou
Potter29

September 13th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Cheers mate yes could be as they was skinny compared to wot the usual pinky fishing maggots r like , i will look into them steve thanks
buster121

September 13th, 2019, 2:44 pm

I would agree with worms
ConorP

September 13th, 2019, 4:55 pm

I'd get them tested asap mate, if he has to send droppings off put them on moxidectin til he gets results back.
Potter29

September 13th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Cheers all past the info on , hes been told to check his corn under a microscope for tiny holes also , really weird as they look a picture n r flying the skies out , atb
Potter29

September 14th, 2019, 10:05 am

Took this morning oviusly sick with havin the corn init , can clearly see the maggots
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy123

September 14th, 2019, 11:57 am

Looks horrible Stew. Looks very black as well. I would imagine it must be coming from in the crop otherwise it would be in the droppings. Looks like a parasite is in the crop, could have come from bad corn. Do the maggots move? Could be some sort of weevil. If not may be the lining of the crop. Is it just one bird or a few? Wonts sorting ASAP as they can’t be getting in nutrition into them.
Potter29

September 14th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Ano mate rough int it , n ye the maggots are very much active can onli see a few there but theres plenty buried inside the pile , droppings seem pretty much normal nothing in them atall , i wouldnt say its happening to them all no as theres onli a few piles like this , and it seems to be at nite when they are being sick so hes finding it hard to pinpoint wich birds it is , , iv googled weevil pupae n larvae n other insects that get in corn but none of them look like these maggots , these to me are larvae from flies but how n why they are inside the bird(s) is baffling lol al birds been checked over for injuries etc nothing
Andy123

September 14th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Do you think they could have picked up something that may have had some eggs on it. It does seem that they must have a lot in them.

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”