Training of Barcelona youngsters

This is for members to ask questions and just have a chat about the Barcelona Test Loft
Andy123

June 14th, 2019, 10:10 pm

I have been speaking to Phil today and he said he has been talking to Clive and Gill Rodgers of Radstock. It is at Clive and Gill’s that we mark the BICC birds. Clive also does quite a bit of training for local fanciers. I did give mine one trainer with him last year, where I took them up to him the night before and left them on his trailer overnight. They do live 45 minutes from me. Apparently Clive has got rid of the trailer he had last year and is waiting for a new/bigger one to be delivered. This new one will hold 600 birds. He is planning on going down to the coast 3 days a week and to 3 different locations. The coast would be about 35 miles to me. So I am thinking of making more use of his training myself for the youngsters. I could either take them to him the night before as I did last year or first thing in the morning, or a combination of both.
Although I would be about the shortest flyer and the main drag would be to the West of me, I think it could be a great chance to give them a few trainers with other pigeons and having to break. I only dropped 2 in the trainer I had with him last year.
So what I am thinking is that when the weather changes I need to start training them, giving them plenty of short tosses out to maybe 15 miles and then go with Clive.
I’ve still got 30 youngsters in the Barcelona team.
bkays

June 14th, 2019, 10:55 pm

Sounds good Andy. I would defo rather take them early morning for the first couple of times they go training with them though. However, it's what is easier for you.
CDBL

June 15th, 2019, 5:25 am

Nice. Sounds like a plan Andy :)
buster121

June 15th, 2019, 6:46 am

A man with a plan, sounds good Andy
Petedav

June 15th, 2019, 7:17 am

Great plan Andy
Magic

June 15th, 2019, 8:09 am

Your own methods didn't treat you too badly last season Andy but at least this way you will be able to make comparison

By the way, I have that 4th ring if you want me to send it to you, I had put it away safely and only found it during the week.
Aim for the Moon, even if you miss you will land among the stars.
trench

June 15th, 2019, 8:22 am

I think it makes perfect sense to use facilities like that if they are available Andy, the more training these babies can get the better and going with other birds will give them valuable experience and taking them the night before will also give them that much needed basket training too.
I think you are right to get some training of your own in first though, you want them to learn how to work it out for themselves rather than just following the crowd.
Andy123

June 15th, 2019, 8:25 am

Magic wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 8:09 am
Your own methods didn't treat you too badly last season Andy but at least this way you will be able to make comparison

By the way, I have that 4th ring if you want me to send it to you, I had put it away safely and only found it during the week.
Thanks John. I was just a bit disappointed on the number lost from the Guernsey race last year. I know it was a particularly difficult race with the strong SW winds taking them over to the East of the country, but was still disappointed that I didn’t get more back. Just thinking that maybe this will give them more experience of breaking before going to the first National. I am still weighing things up. As you say might be worth giving it a go to compare.
Don’t worry about the ring, I still have a few left anyway and don’t expect I’ll be using them.

Return to “Chit Chat”