Little memories

Talk about anything here.
Andy123

June 12th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Following on from a couple of memories from Muzza about past experiences with his pigeons I thought it might be nice to hear of any other members memories.

I remember a Dark Chequer cock I had back in the early 1980s. He was given to me by a Tony Smith from Portslade, near Brighton. Tony was the milk tanker driver at the first farm I worked on after leaving school. He was a good flyer from over the channel in those days. I often went to his house on my motorbike and would come back with the odd pigeons in a box strapped to the back of the bike.
This Dark Chequer was one of the first pigeons that I got from him. He had very large wattles and eye ceres, I called him “big eyes”. He bred my first ever winner in 1984 and was always a real favourite of mine.
In the storms we had in the October of 1987 my loft was flattened by the winds that reached 106 mph. The next morning most of the birds were on the bungalow but “big eyes” was missing, along with 4 other cocks. I had to knock up a make shift loft out of the remains of the loft to put the birds in until I could rebuild it properly. I found 4 cocks dead under the collapsed loft but still no sign of “big eyes”. I managed to put up a temporary loft and got all the birds into it. The only pigeon missing the following night was the Dark cock. The following day I preceded to clear up the rest of the loft and on lifting up a large piece of wood I found “big eyes” in what was left of a nest box. He was totally unharmed. I was so pleased to find him alive. I think he finally died at the age of 16.
buster121

June 13th, 2019, 6:48 am

Blimey Andy that was lucky and unlucky at the same time, grand old age is 16
trench

June 13th, 2019, 8:04 am

I remember that night well Andy, I was still living at home and Dad and I were up the garden putting the birds in baskets as the roof was being ripped off the lofts. Had no idea at that stage just how dangerous it was, only in the morning when we saw the destruction that had been caused did it become apparent.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-41366241

Great thread Andy, look forward to reading other people's stories.
stevekulpa

June 13th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Great story Andy
stevekulpa

June 13th, 2019, 5:50 pm

The one that sticks with me is when Paul first became my partner at about the age of 14. The first race we flew as S&P we won everyone in the club was shaking his hand saying well done. He was on cloud nine big smiles the second week we won again not so many well done's , The third week we won again Apart from Mum & Dad no one said anything to him, He became quiet when I asked him what was wrong he said why don't they want me to win. What could I say. I think he learnt a valuable lesson ,maybe that's what drives him on now and he always gives 100% and he will tell you himself he doesn't get up at 5.30 in the morning to finish second. Sad but true that's what life is like no one likes a winner in any sport.
trench

June 13th, 2019, 7:19 pm

stevekulpa wrote:
The one that sticks with me is when Paul first became my partner at about the age of 14. The first race we flew as S&P we won everyone in the club was shaking his hand saying well done. He was on cloud nine big smiles the second week we won again not so many well done's , The third week we won again Apart from Mum & Dad no one said anything to him, He became quiet when I asked him what was wrong he said why don't they want me to win. What could I say. I think he learnt a valuable lesson ,maybe that's what drives him on now and he always gives 100% and he will tell you himself he doesn't get up at 5.30 in the morning to finish second. Sad but true that's what life is like no one likes a winner in any sport.
Sadly so true mate :(
One of the things I remember being taught as a young lad just starting out in competitive swimming was to be a winner fistly you need know how to be a good and humble loser. :D
Andy123

June 13th, 2019, 7:32 pm

stevekulpa wrote:
Could have gone either way Steve, glad it made him more determined than ever. My philosophy has always been that the winners are there to be beaten and if you want to get to the top you need to work at it.
Muzza

June 13th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Andy123 wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 7:32 pm
stevekulpa wrote:
Could have gone either way Steve, glad it made him more determined than ever. My philosophy has always been that the winners are there to be beaten and if you want to get to the top you need to work at it.
That's right, Steve, everyone is happy if you win.......but not too much. :D
Regards,

Murray
Eastyorkflyer

June 14th, 2019, 1:02 pm

stevekulpa wrote:
. Sadly very true !! it's why I don't do club racing I tried a couple of clubs and had the same reaction then accusations that I must be cheating to be beating everyone each week a horrible atmosphere !id miss out races because I just didn't want the same experience each week at club, in the end I never went back and just started olr racing instead ! I think it's important this changes in the sport but isn't likely it's a dying sport sadly and most clubs are exactly the same a few old boys who believe they are the best and anyone who beats them is cheating even if it's a 14 year old 😂 or not to even be congratulated on a win each week I think is wrong I wasn't willing to be like many friends who are constantly joining new clubs because there old ones make them uncomfortable for winning!

Return to “Chit Chat”