Ybs feed

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Starter46

May 15th, 2019, 8:38 pm

So I've got 24 ybs flying out and 19 I've just moved over , there on versalaga starter + and bamfords breed and ween . Now the lad next door to my allotment who races from home says there to fat and should be on a diat mix and widowhood mix probably 60/40 mix . What's your thoughts lads ?
Andy123

May 15th, 2019, 9:12 pm

I wouldn’t be to concerned myself at this stage. I certainly wouldn’t put them on a diet mix, their still growing. They will soon lose the extra fat once they start flying well and you start to restrict their food to get them to trap.
Mine are in with the old birds and on open loft and are fed on Willsbridge Supreme racing mix and economy racing mix with food in the trough all the time. My trapping isn’t great at present but I will sort that out later on. The one thing I do notice is that with food available all the time they rarely have much food in their crops.
Starter46

May 15th, 2019, 9:26 pm

That was my thinking Andy , there not even ranging yet and as you say still growing. Cheers
Muzza

May 16th, 2019, 3:44 am

Andy is right.

Keep the feed up to them.

You can worry about whether they want tightening up a bit when serious training starts.

Keep 'em well fed and developing.
Regards,

Murray
stevekulpa

May 16th, 2019, 11:01 pm

Many roads lead to Rome. Ours are fed Gem YB no maize if we feel there not flying well enough we might put some barley in it having them overweight does them no good they should want to exercise well if they are over weight they wont, But as I said many roads lead to Rome. On another point ours have to come in when called if they don't they don't get fed they soon learn or are not here ;)
Last edited by stevekulpa on May 17th, 2019, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trench

May 16th, 2019, 11:36 pm

Once again it's what suits, as Steve says there are many roads to Rome.
My youngsters are also in with the old birds and on open loft, my early youngsters would have got Gem breed and wean but are now on Gem Supreme plus a home made mix in the mornings and Gem Concorde in the evenings. They also have tic beans & layers pellets in a hopper available all the time.
As Andy says although there is food available all day (and cleared) the birds seldom have much in their crops. It is important that the birds do get the right balance of food and exercise to enable good growth and muscle development, it is easier to feed like this when on open loft as the birds are up and down all day so are converting the feed to energy/muscle rather than fat.
Once they start flying well and ranging they will soon burn off any excess fat.
Muzza

May 17th, 2019, 9:28 am

trench wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 11:36 pm
Once again it's what suits, as Steve says there are many roads to Rome.
My youngsters are also in with the old birds and on open loft, my early youngsters would have got Gem breed and wean but are now on Gem Supreme plus a home made mix in the mornings and Gem Concorde in the evenings. They also have tic beans & layers pellets in a hopper available all the time.
As Andy says although there is food available all day (and cleared) the birds seldom have much in their crops. It is important that the birds do get the right balance of food and exercise to enable good growth and muscle development, it is easier to feed like this when on open loft as the birds are up and down all day so are converting the feed to energy/muscle rather than fat.
Once they start flying well and ranging they will soon burn off any excess fat.
Agreed!

My young birds are in with the old birds, because there is no YB program here. They fly about 20 weeks in one program, starting in the winter and racing through the spring.

I don't like it, but I am a minority of 1. :)

But It has a big advantage. The babies learn to come in when called, from the day they step outside! They copy the old birds, and when the old birds answer the call and dive in, so do the little ones!

My birds are fed a full tray of feed in the morning before I go to work. With the days getting shorter in the southern hemisphere, I am turning the lights on to do a quick scrape out and feed them.

After work they have a fly, and a flop around the place, while I clean out, etc.

Despite the fact that they were given a full tray earlier in the day, when I whistle and rattle the tin, I can have every bird in within, well, not much time at all!

It isn't very hard, is it?

If they know what the program is, and you follow the program, the birds will do just what you want them to do, and be very happy doing it! :D
Regards,

Murray

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”