Homing pigeons to a new loft.

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Muzza

May 15th, 2019, 10:07 am

I am a great believer that pigeons can and will home to a new loft almost immediately.

In New Zealand my wife and I relocated several times. At first I was very worried that homing the birds to another place would be difficult.

By moving the loft, pigeons, and everything, after several moves the pigeons just stayed where the loft was, and carried on regardless. I had one widowhood cock who raced to 4 different places and won his best result as a 7 year old!

In Australia there seems to be a belief that it is difficult to home a pigeon to a new location.

If I may ask, what is the view on relocating pigeons in Britain?
Regards,

Murray
Eastyorkflyer

May 15th, 2019, 10:54 am

I've relocated twice now never had any problems I just keep them in the sputnik for two weeks all day long then after a couple of weeks doing that I let them out takes them a few days and they start ranging job done !!
devo56

May 15th, 2019, 11:03 am

.I have a hen I got from Manchester, she was put in stock shed after she won a breeder buyer as a youngsters. She was 2 years in the stock shed when I got her. After a week when I got her she got out and went back to the in Manchester. I went to pick her up and the guy told me the lofts were sold and they were going at the week later. After another week she got out again went to Manchester again, so I phoned the guy and she was on his roof. The next morning she was on my loft and I let her in, she was broke out and as also raced from france last year.
Andy123

May 15th, 2019, 12:13 pm

I think good pigeons break easily. I have moved a few times and yes have lost a few but also have broken many more. I moved from one side of the Duke of Norfolk’s Estate when a new dairy unit was built, no problem although not all that far, probably no more than a mile. Then moved down to Cornwall 150 miles broke them there, then 6 years later moved to Somerset 80 miles again broke most and moved twice more around the same area in Somerset over the space of about 5 years. I had a couple of old birds, including a Van Hee cock who was 18 on his final move and my Lerwick winner from 1990 who would have been 16 on her final move that flew out at all these locations.
I do think that you can keep a pigeon in too long before trying to break them as all they want to do when let out for the first time is fly.
I do also think though that even when you move with the same pigeons it takes time to re-establish a winning family. Different pigeons preform better in different locations and although mine were always based around the same birds it still took a time to get them performing well.
bkays

May 17th, 2019, 2:39 pm

My father and I never liked broken in pigeons. Even though my dad is a master of it. He can break a flock of 20 in 3 days.

It's not worth the doubt. When they're reluctant to trap or exercise you're constantly worried it's because they're missing their original loft. Then when they don't perform from the races you're still worried about it. With that said. The 3 birds that were 2, 3 and 5th west section for us from Barcelona (725 miles). All 3 were broken in from my cousin who was racing my dads old family of pigeons. 2 of them raced Barcelona 3 times. But it was always in the back of our mines that if they were ours from birth. Maybe they could have won the west section.

I think it makes a difference how far their original loft is from the new one. My cousins loft was only 4-5 miles away from ours. Now and again they would go back there. We had one hen who just wouldn't stop going down there. Even after the loft was gone. She'd go 400-500 miles and not have a feather out of place but would be an hour behind. She went to Barcelona, came back after 8 days. Looking like she's been for a 5 miles toss. We could never get her to race. So that leads me to believe that some individual pigeons can handle being broken into a new loft where others it breaks their heart.

It can work but we wont ever be doing it again.
Andy123

May 17th, 2019, 4:08 pm

bkays wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 2:39 pm
My father and I never liked broken in pigeons. Even though my dad is a master of it. He can break a flock of 20 in 3 days.

It's not worth the doubt. When they're reluctant to trap or exercise you're constantly worried it's because they're missing their original loft. Then when they don't perform from the races you're still worried about it. With that said. The 3 birds that were 2, 3 and 5th west section for us from Barcelona (725 miles). All 3 were broken in from my cousin who was racing my dads old family of pigeons. 2 of them raced Barcelona 3 times. But it was always in the back of our mines that if they were ours from birth. Maybe they could have won the west section.

I think it makes a difference how far their original loft is from the new one. My cousins loft was only 4-5 miles away from ours. Now and again they would go back there. We had one hen who just wouldn't stop going down there. Even after the loft was gone. She'd go 400-500 miles and not have a feather out of place but would be an hour behind. She went to Barcelona, came back after 8 days. Looking like she's been for a 5 miles toss. We could never get her to race. So that leads me to believe that some individual pigeons can handle being broken into a new loft where others it breaks their heart.

It can work but we wont ever be doing it again.
Following this post Ben I had a look back through some of my old records that I still have and I must admit that it seems that although I broke the pigeons fine none of the ones that raced to one loft ever done anything racing to the new one. Although they were hardly ever raced anyway. The best ones did produce winning pigeons after moving but it still took a couple of years or so to get a family going again.

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”