Hello from the land down under!

Say hello to all the other members on the forum.
Eastyorkflyer

May 5th, 2019, 10:13 am

Muzza wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 9:50 am
Hello everyone.

My name is Murray McPhie, I live in Bendigo, in Victoria, in Australia.

I am a Kiwi, but my wife and I have lived in Oz since 2006.

I raced pigeons with some success in NZ, and started with a small loft here in Australia in 2012.

I had some immediate success early on, I had a yearling widower who won 3 races in 3 weeks, which of course made me hugely unpopular! :D

The sport has been under some pressure here for some years. The raptors are a huge problem. Also, there have been a couple of outbreaks of diseases, the latest being a Rotavirus against which there was no effective vaccine.

So, I have just been enjoying my pigeons, testing them and selecting them when I can, and sending a couple to the race when I can. I sent 2 yearling cocks to a race last year off no previous races. I had one on the drop which would have won had I clocked him quickly. It was a hot day, the boy was stressed and thirsty. He dived into the drinker. I didn't have the heart to grab him.

When I told them at the club that he had finished forth because I didn't grab him, they were speechless. :o I just laughed.

The bird is still in the loft, I know how good he is....
Eastyorkflyer

May 5th, 2019, 10:13 am

I'm also new here but welcome 👍
devo56

May 5th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Welcome to the site Murray, I hope you enjoy the topics.
Muzza

May 6th, 2019, 9:32 am

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

I just love the positive vibe on this forum.

Everyone is enjoying the best sport in the world!

In Australia, unfortunately, these days it is not so much. There are some angry blokes over here.

The whole thing is pretty grim at present, and it is refreshing to be reminded that the pigeon sport is fun and rewarding!
Regards,

Murray
trench

May 6th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Muzza wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 9:32 am
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

I just love the positive vibe on this forum.

Everyone is enjoying the best sport in the world!

In Australia, unfortunately, these days it is not so much. There are some angry blokes over here.

The whole thing is pretty grim at present, and it is refreshing to be reminded that the pigeon sport is fun and rewarding!
And long may it continue to be that way mate :D
It's sad to hear racing over there isn't as enjoyable as it should be, hope it enjoys a revival in the future.

Return to “Introduction”