Its already started

Talk about anything here.
buster121
Posts: 18880
Joined: December 7th, 2011, 7:01 pm
Location: West Midlands
Gender: None specified - None specified

March 17th, 2019, 6:57 am

Andy123 wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 9:31 pm
That was one of the questions asked in the RPRA survey. I think I’m right in saying that the majority went for leaving it to the individual feds/combines too decide when they wanted to start.
I do agree that we start too early.
For things to change though I think the Nationals and Classics would have to change their programs. I know these are all I do and for me starting at the end of April isn’t to bad, my first race is 178mls and are happy jumping mine in at this, I wouldn’t want to be to much further North without having at least 1 race beforehand though.
I also agree that we could quite easily go on for a couple of weeks later. My question regarding this is, when do the darkness youngsters start falling apart in the wing. I don’t do darkness so don’t know the answer, would this make things harder for the darkness youngsters to continue for another couple of weeks?
Andy this is my opinion only, but I think as darkness system is not natural but a man made problem, folks should breed later and do away with it, I think it causes to many problems and firmly believe that is the root cause of many of today's problems, issue rings in January and go from there, but they won't as it's all about that dreaded thing called money the root of all evil
User avatar
Andy123
Posts: 6256
Joined: October 15th, 2016, 8:15 pm
Location: Wincanton, Somerset
Gender: Male - Male

March 17th, 2019, 10:20 am

buster121 wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 6:57 am
Andy123 wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 9:31 pm
That was one of the questions asked in the RPRA survey. I think I’m right in saying that the majority went for leaving it to the individual feds/combines too decide when they wanted to start.
I do agree that we start too early.
For things to change though I think the Nationals and Classics would have to change their programs. I know these are all I do and for me starting at the end of April isn’t to bad, my first race is 178mls and are happy jumping mine in at this, I wouldn’t want to be to much further North without having at least 1 race beforehand though.
I also agree that we could quite easily go on for a couple of weeks later. My question regarding this is, when do the darkness youngsters start falling apart in the wing. I don’t do darkness so don’t know the answer, would this make things harder for the darkness youngsters to continue for another couple of weeks?
Andy this is my opinion only, but I think as darkness system is not natural but a man made problem, folks should breed later and do away with it, I think it causes to many problems and firmly believe that is the root cause of many of today's problems, issue rings in January and go from there, but they won't as it's all about that dreaded thing called money the root of all evil
I agree with you Buster. It was never a problem when the rings weren’t issued until 10th January.
I remember a chap back in Worthing in the 80’s who’s youngsters always looked like old birds and he would win most youngbird races, never done much with old birds though, Roger Newell Trev. Looking back now he must have had them on some kind of darkness system back then, so it’s not a new thing, and then the rings weren’t issued until 10th January. I suppose it depends on how much you want to win youngbird races. For me youngbird racing has always been just about educating them for the future, although I have done quite well with youngsters in the past. They are racing youngsters for a couple of months and with the right care old birds for years.
I also agree that the biggest problems in the sport now is money related.
User avatar
devo56
Posts: 6747
Joined: January 3rd, 2016, 11:12 am
Gender: Male - Male

March 17th, 2019, 11:58 am

I think the rings being given out early was for all the big studs, it also helps for young birds to be sold at the Blackpool show. This as given a platform for the RPRA not only to sell more rings in December. but also through the year. More youngsters will be bred by the big studs, so yes the money making of the sport will increase for some.
User avatar
Andy123
Posts: 6256
Joined: October 15th, 2016, 8:15 pm
Location: Wincanton, Somerset
Gender: Male - Male

March 17th, 2019, 3:24 pm

devo56 wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 11:58 am
I think the rings being given out early was for all the big studs, it also helps for young birds to be sold at the Blackpool show. This as given a platform for the RPRA not only to sell more rings in December. but also through the year. More youngsters will be bred by the big studs, so yes the money making of the sport will increase for some.
Only all the time fanciers are prepared to pay these prices!!!
I don’t know when or why this started, maybe it always happened to a degree but I’ve never spent much on buying pigeons and have actually brought very few over the years.
You always just bred your own or were gifted/swapped birds with fellow members or friends. At some point people suddenly thought that the quick way to success was to spend a lot of money on buying pigeons.
User avatar
devo56
Posts: 6747
Joined: January 3rd, 2016, 11:12 am
Gender: Male - Male

March 17th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Andy123 wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 3:24 pm
devo56 wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 11:58 am
I think the rings being given out early was for all the big studs, it also helps for young birds to be sold at the Blackpool show. This as given a platform for the RPRA not only to sell more rings in December. but also through the year. More youngsters will be bred by the big studs, so yes the money making of the sport will increase for some.
Only all the time fanciers are prepared to pay these prices!!!
I don’t know when or why this started, maybe it always happened to a degree but I’ve never spent much on buying pigeons and have actually brought very few over the years.
You always just bred your own or were gifted/swapped birds with fellow members or friends. At some point people suddenly thought that the quick way to success was to spend a lot of money on buying pigeons.


Yes Andy i do agree, to be honest i am working with young Jack berry with my intakes of Dirk Van Den Bulcks birds. We have started building a nice collection of them, and i got a phone call from him to see if i can take some eggs from top lines. I have taken 8 eggs from him and put them under some of my other birds. We will then split the youngsters from them, by the end of the year i should have around 24 Van Den Bulks. This will be my last year of buying in birds.
User avatar
trench
Posts: 6499
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

March 17th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Yes I do remember Roger Newell Andy, Bob Short was another one.
I agree it is all about money, it suits the big studs and big loft fliers, however I think the biggest reason for the early rings is for the OLRs. In my opinion it should go back to how it has always been and rings shouldn't be available until the 10th of January, young birds should be bred in the same year as their young bird racing season, it makes a mockery of the term young bird.
User avatar
trench
Posts: 6499
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Location: West sussex
Gender: Male - Male

March 17th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Starter46 wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 9:57 pm
Are first race is the 6th April. The club secatary who is on the fed committee has been trying to get it to start later
Yes mate our Club tried to get the first race pushed back to the last weekend in April as it was years ago but got out voted, it could well be as Andy said that there are so many more classic races these days and they too start earlier than they used to so clubs have to start earlier to enable members to get their birds into a few shorter first. I wouldn't think the early start does the widowhood birds much good as the cold will soon knock their form off.
Post Reply

Return to “Chit Chat”