What corn is everyone feeding?

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Starter46

January 14th, 2019, 7:06 pm

What corn is everyone using at this time of year . Only ask as the place I get my corn from used to have a good selection, but the last few months this has dwindled down so I am now on bamfords breed and ween, I do prefer vanrobys but selection is not good anymore
devo56

January 14th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Mark i am giving my birds Premium power breeding Number 182 Vanrobaeys along with some hormoform.

https://www.vanrobaeysbelgium.com/en-BE ... r-breeding
trench

January 14th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Mine are on Gem breeding plus in the mornings and Gem Concorde in the afternoons. They have beans and layers pellets available daily in hoppers. They also get Gem conditioning mix once a week and peanuts and sunflower hearts as a treat most days.
I feed Gem as its what my local pet shop can get hold of for me, I believe quite a few of our Fed members feed Bamfords as the Fed Secretary sells it.
buster121

January 14th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Mine have a good farm all rounder all year round
Bryngwynt

January 14th, 2019, 9:31 pm

At the moment Marimans breed and racing,prices keep going on 50p to £1 a bag locally.They are all saying about brexit and not been able to get corn from Europe.As we no longer grow much ourselves,would love to have option to get Gem corn.Good price and 25kg bags.
Results achieved in past 2 years
1st x 22
2nd x 26
3rd x 17
4th x 19
5th x 16
Andy123

January 14th, 2019, 9:38 pm

I’m feeding mine on Willsbridge all round at present. I will go onto a breed and wean soon. Probably still Willsbridge. I use what I can get from my wholesalers. I do also give a few peanuts every day.
I know I might be a bit controversial but I don’t think the different brands and mixes make much difference. I think most of it is marketing. Providing the corn is sound it makes little difference. Unless you feed tight and each pigeon individually you will never know what birds are eating what or whether they are getting a mix of seeds as different birds prefer different grains and will eat them first. The only way to be sure of what their getting you would have to feed all and only pellets. When I was feeding high yielding dairy cows the best way was to feed a complete diet, mixed in a feeder wagon so that every mouthful was the same. This would also make sure that the ph of the rumen would always be the same and not go up and down depending on what they were eating. Our cows never went out while milking as the most unreliable feed is grass!! This could vary in nutritional value so much from day to day depending on the weather. Poor on dull wet days to good on dry sunny days. This variation is no good if going for high yields.
Sorry to go off on a tangent, just thought it might give a bit of insight to my nutritional experience.
buster121

January 15th, 2019, 6:44 am

Bryngwynt wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 9:31 pm
At the moment Marimans breed and racing,prices keep going on 50p to £1 a bag locally.They are all saying about brexit and not been able to get corn from Europe.As we no longer grow much ourselves,would love to have option to get Gem corn.Good price and 25kg bags.
the farm I use has gone up 25p per bag, yet the local corn store's has gone up around £2 per bag
buster121

Andy123 wrote:
I’m feeding mine on Willsbridge all round at present. I will go onto a breed and wean soon. Probably still Willsbridge. I use what I can get from my wholesalers. I do also give a few peanuts every day.
I know I might be a bit controversial but I don’t think the different brands and mixes make much difference. I think most of it is marketing. Providing the corn is sound it makes little difference. Unless you feed tight and each pigeon individually you will never know what birds are eating what or whether they are getting a mix of seeds as different birds prefer different grains and will eat them first. The only way to be sure of what their getting you would have to feed all and only pellets. When I was feeding high yielding dairy cows the best way was to feed a complete diet, mixed in a feeder wagon so that every mouthful was the same. This would also make sure that the ph of the rumen would always be the same and not go up and down depending on what they were eating. Our cows never went out while milking as the most unreliable feed is grass!! This could vary in nutritional value so much from day to day depending on the weather. Poor on dull wet days to good on dry sunny days. This variation is no good if going for high yields.
Sorry to go off on a tangent, just thought it might give a bit of insight to my nutritional experience.
Never knew weather would affect like that
Andy123

January 15th, 2019, 8:02 am

buster121 wrote:
Andy123 wrote:
Never knew weather would affect like that
Without getting to technical Buster, it is all about dry matter intakes and energy levels (sugar). Obviously if the grass is wet they would have to eat a lot more of it to get the required amount of dry matter. Sugar levels in grass are raised on warm sunny days. Energy intake is very important for high yields. When mowing grass for silage we wouldn’t start mowing until after lunch to allow sugar levels to rise in the sun during the morning before being cut.
Petedav

January 15th, 2019, 8:03 am

I'm using verse laga breeding subliem at the moment but will switch the young birds onto verse laga junior plus once moved over.

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”