Next years thoughts systems and ideas

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
ConorP

May 26th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Thanks lads gives me something to think about then
trench

May 26th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Can't really add much to what others have already said but in my opinion a natural hen in the right condition will beat most cock birds especially from the longer races, the main problem with hens on natural is that you will only have a couple of chances every season to get her in that optimum condition. As for training the twelve miles from home each day personally I think if this is the only way you can exercise them then I think it's a good idea. Many fanciers have different views on training but I know many of the fanciers in our federation train regularly all through the season, especially the widow fanciers.
I personally race natural as I just can't be bothered with all the faffing about that is required to be a successful widowhood fancier, I know and accept that I will never compete consistently with the widowhood fliers but if I can get the odd half decent result and enjoy my racing then that's good enough for me.
Look forward to hearing what way you go next season and how you get on, all the best mate.
Muzza

May 27th, 2019, 8:59 am

trench wrote:
Can't really add much to what others have already said but in my opinion a natural hen in the right condition will beat most cock birds especially from the longer races, the main problem with hens on natural is that you will only have a couple of chances every season to get her in that optimum condition. As for training the twelve miles from home each day personally I think if this is the only way you can exercise them then I think it's a good idea. Many fanciers have different views on training but I know many of the fanciers in our federation train regularly all through the season, especially the widow fanciers.
I personally race natural as I just can't be bothered with all the faffing about that is required to be a successful widowhood fancier, I know and accept that I will never compete consistently with the widowhood fliers but if I can get the odd half decent result and enjoy my racing then that's good enough for me.
Look forward to hearing what way you go next season and how you get on, all the best mate.
Trench, you say you cant be bothered with the faff of widowhood racing. I would, with respect, disagree with you on that.

I reckon it is the simplest, easiest, even laziest way to race pigeons. Get a team of widowers 'On the program', and for five days of the week all you are doing is feeding them and giving them a little exercise. The rest of the time they are just resting and thinking....... :evil: :evil:

Just my opinion, of course.
Regards,

Murray
Andy123

May 27th, 2019, 9:52 am

I agree with what you say Murray. As long as you have the room the system is simple and takes very little time. I loved it when I done it.
Potter29

May 27th, 2019, 10:26 am

I gtta agrea with with muzza too , atb

Also celibates r easy too
Eastyorkflyer

May 27th, 2019, 10:30 am

Natural v widowhood debate is pretty comprehensively won by widowhood it's simple and effective natural to me is a lot more hassle and impractical but it's each to there own that's the great thing you can do whatever you prefer no right and wrong
Andy123

May 27th, 2019, 11:17 am

I have decided to do natural as I won’t to keep mine on open loft and are looking at the extreme distance racing and want to race both cocks and hens but it does have its complications. I’m only expecting to give my birds 3 or 4 races a year so this means preparing them for each race. This is made a bit harder due to the fact that basketing is a Thursday morning or earlier for the longer races. This means that I have to pair them either to a pigeon with the same race program or pair them to one that isn’t racing. It can be a nightmare if one of the pair is lost. This weekend most birds were sent feeding small youngsters, I have been moving youngsters around to get them fed and kept warm. If I was racing sprint/middle distance and the same birds were going every week I would definitely race widowhood.
trench

May 27th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Muzza wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 8:59 am
trench wrote:
Trench, you say you cant be bothered with the faff of widowhood racing. I would, with respect, disagree with you on that.

I reckon it is the simplest, easiest, even laziest way to race pigeons. Get a team of widowers 'On the program', and for five days of the week all you are doing is feeding them and giving them a little exercise. The rest of the time they are just resting and thinking....... :evil: :evil:

Just my opinion, of course.
Faff may have been the wrong word mate :D
It's more the routine of it I couldn't get on with, I tried it for two seasons (using Andy's tried and tested method) but due to work etc just couldn't be regimented enough with exercise/feeding to make it work and on only one occasion did one of my widowhoods beat my naturals.
I appreciate that most weeks my naturals won't get any where near the widowhoods but as I said my competitive edge is long gone and I just enjoy keeping them natural. :D
trench

May 27th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Andy123 wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 11:17 am
I have decided to do natural as I won’t to keep mine on open loft and are looking at the extreme distance racing and want to race both cocks and hens but it does have its complications. I’m only expecting to give my birds 3 or 4 races a year so this means preparing them for each race. This is made a bit harder due to the fact that basketing is a Thursday morning or earlier for the longer races. This means that I have to pair them either to a pigeon with the same race program or pair them to one that isn’t racing. It can be a nightmare if one of the pair is lost. This weekend most birds were sent feeding small youngsters, I have been moving youngsters around to get them fed and kept warm. If I was racing sprint/middle distance and the same birds were going every week I would definitely race widowhood.
As I said earlier Andy racing natural does limit each birds season somewhat and does definitely have its complications but as you say once you have a reliable and tested team you will only aim to get each pair in their optimum condition for probably only one target race each season. I still stand by the fact that on a tough day from the longer distances a good hen will beat a widowhood cock but I have no doubt that with you're old methods you would still get widowers from the extreme distance.

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”