Next years thoughts systems and ideas

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
BezSprint

May 17th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Hi all my racing next year is being thought of already

My race team will consist of 8 widowhood cocks
Split into 2 clubs 4 in each

4/8 will race upto 160 miles these will be the fastest 4 over the weeks and they will be stopped at the 160miles point. The other 4 will go right through to the coast and anything that has missed or under performed will be disposed of or sent across the channel if it shows “distance promise” 🤣 I will be racing Wednesday upto 70miles and saturdays upto 160 miles with the 4 fastest birds they will not be flown around home during the season just trained to 20 miles Tuesday and Thursday. I am asking a lot of them but with a small team I think being ruthless is the best way. Please let me know your thoughts good or bad. This is my plan now but as we all know in pigeon racing planning can be useless.

Thanks all I am enjoying the group.
Andy123

May 17th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong. Are you planning on sending all 8 twice a week up to 160 miles and then stopping the fastest 4 and just continue to race the other 4?
What are your plans on showing the hens with 2 races a week?
BezSprint

May 17th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Yes 2x a week and then stop fastest 4 at 160 and then stop the midweek racing and let the other 4 race through all being well. Most will be yearlings and will see the hens every time the 2 year olds will alternate bowl or hen or wind up
ASKAMATE

May 17th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Think you would be better with 12 split 6&6 still not a big team but if you have a bad race you could be down to 8.
BezSprint

May 17th, 2019, 7:03 pm

I’m happy with 8 they not done too bad mate
Bryngwynt

May 17th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Good planning takes time and effort, sounds like you are forward thinking.Looking to plan ahead and set out your stand for the coming season.

Look forward to here your plans going forward, with only a small team small changes can make big differences.Good luck
Results achieved in past 2 years
1st x 22
2nd x 26
3rd x 17
4th x 19
5th x 16
Andy123

May 17th, 2019, 9:01 pm

BezSprint wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 5:32 pm
Yes 2x a week and then stop fastest 4 at 160 and then stop the midweek racing and let the other 4 race through all being well. Most will be yearlings and will see the hens every time the 2 year olds will alternate bowl or hen or wind up
Good luck with it mate. Sounds good. Never raced midweek myself not sure how you would condition them twice a week. I take it you won’t be breaking them down. Seems like you have a good idea of what your doing though.
BezSprint

May 17th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Thanks all
Muzza

May 18th, 2019, 8:55 am

BezSprint wrote:

4/8 will race upto 160 miles these will be the fastest 4 over the weeks and they will be stopped at the 160miles point. The other 4 will go right through to the coast and anything that has missed or under performed will be disposed of or sent across the channel if it shows “distance promise” 🤣 I will be racing Wednesday upto 70miles and saturdays upto 160 miles with the 4 fastest birds they will not be flown around home during the season just trained to 20 miles Tuesday and Thursday. I am asking a lot of them but with a small team I think being ruthless is the best way. Please let me know your thoughts good or bad. This is my plan now but as we all know in pigeon racing planning can be useless.

I reckon your thinking is very much like mine. :D

I had a 9 box widowhood loft in New Zealand, it was 3 boxes high, x 3 boxes wide. This is going back 15 years or so.

At one stage in that little loft I had 8 pigeons who had won at least one race. The other one was a beautiful mealy cock, with a fantastic pedigree. Ooh, he was going to be the next best thing......

Turned out he was show pigeon, that's what he was! :lol: Won a championship.

Anyway, it all sounds very good, what you are doing, but, and there is always a but, if you are going to send them twice a week, every week, you do risk them going off.

When I was a jockey, a long time ago, an old trainer told me something I never forgot. "Son", he said, "they are like torches. You can only turn them on and off so many times before the battery goes flat."

That is what would worry me. If they give you two races a week, they could go off form at any time.

I will tell you one of the great truths of widowhood racing. Once they go off, that's it. On the odd occasion you might breath life into a flat widowhood cock, but generally it's a wait until next year.
Regards,

Murray
trench

May 19th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Muzza wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 8:55 am
BezSprint wrote:

I reckon your thinking is very much like mine. :D

I had a 9 box widowhood loft in New Zealand, it was 3 boxes high, x 3 boxes wide. This is going back 15 years or so.

At one stage in that little loft I had 8 pigeons who had won at least one race. The other one was a beautiful mealy cock, with a fantastic pedigree. Ooh, he was going to be the next best thing......

Turned out he was show pigeon, that's what he was! :lol: Won a championship.

Anyway, it all sounds very good, what you are doing, but, and there is always a but, if you are going to send them twice a week, every week, you do risk them going off.

When I was a jockey, a long time ago, an old trainer told me something I never forgot. "Son", he said, "they are like torches. You can only turn them on and off so many times before the battery goes flat."

That is what would worry me. If they give you two races a week, they could go off form at any time.

I will tell you one of the great truths of widowhood racing. Once they go off, that's it. On the odd occasion you might breath life into a flat widowhood cock, but generally it's a wait until next year.
Good sound thoughts from some one who clearly understands racing live stock mate, great advice there.
All the best.

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”