Thoughts please

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
buster121

March 23rd, 2019, 1:38 pm

lestheeagle wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 9:46 am
I bought four plastic dustbins last year and no problem as occurred.
I use normal dustbins as well mate but struggling for room in shed
trench

March 23rd, 2019, 8:13 pm

buster121 wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 6:26 am
trench wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 10:25 pm
I would just empty them into the bin without a liner, I think the plastic bag will be more likely to make it sweat than the bin. I have storage bins that I got from Ikea, the bigger ones take two bags and the smaller ones one bag. They do stack on top of each other nicely but I did have to put strips of ply wood between each one as the weight is a bit too much for the lids.
I have to honest they do have a funny smell in them but the corn seems to be fine and the birds seem to be doing fine.
That is where the main problem is for me, as if I did that I would have to keep picking it up to empty to get last bits out, and that is what I am trying to avoid, if I left last bits in and kept putting more food in then eventually the stuff on bottom will go bad, that was the thinking behind a liner pity can't get a big hession one that would do it
Thanks for advice folks
I think I know the type of bin you have Buster, are they the big 200Ltr chemical drums ??? I used to use these as did our Dad, they are now used as water butts by Mum. They did work well but I do know the problem you have mate, you could have a look down the Diy store and see what heavy duty sacks they have. Alternatively you could try and put some kind of flap (cat flap kind of thing) at the bottom and either use that for dispensing the corn or cleaning it once empty, just an idea.
Hope you find a solution.
buster121

March 23rd, 2019, 8:17 pm

Not sure on size Trench or previous use, it is one of those big blue ones with the lid that fastens with like a locking bar
stevekulpa

March 24th, 2019, 9:26 am

We also use the chemical drum type, they hold 4 bags in each, some times we empty them some times we top them up. When we use them for the racing mix the corn is left in the bag as we can get both types in one bin, Never had a problem with corn going off but we don't use the lids there open so the corn can breath. we are also both able to empty the bins aswell so were lucky in that respect. Mum And dad use a kitchen swing bin ,it holds one bag and they can reach the bottom.
Steve
buster121

March 24th, 2019, 4:16 pm

stevekulpa wrote:
We also use the chemical drum type, they hold 4 bags in each, some times we empty them some times we top them up. When we use them for the racing mix the corn is left in the bag as we can get both types in one bin, Never had a problem with corn going off but we don't use the lids there open so the corn can breath. we are also both able to empty the bins aswell so were lucky in that respect. Mum And dad use a kitchen swing bin ,it holds one bag and they can reach the bottom.
Steve
Probably the same ones as I can get 4 bags in as well, I use the lid due to mice etc, don't want em in it
buster121

March 24th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Have found some hessian sacks on ebay
stevekulpa

March 26th, 2019, 10:26 pm

buster121 wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 4:16 pm
stevekulpa wrote:
Steve
Probably the same ones as I can get 4 bags in as well, I use the lid due to mice etc, don't want em in it
Don't have a problem with mice were the corn is stored luckily

Return to “Health & Feeding”