Thoughts please

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
buster121

March 22nd, 2019, 9:31 pm

I use one of those big blue bins for my seed as well as normal dustbins, what I was thinking to do is empty seed out of bags into bins using a black bag as a liner, that way can get more seeed in as can only get 4 bags at present, but usure as to whether the plastic will ruin the feed or taint it with plastic smell or even sweat it and render it useless, any ideas please
rainbow

March 22nd, 2019, 9:38 pm

black bags do smell inside I just use the black plastic bin
Andy123

March 22nd, 2019, 10:21 pm

I keep mine in a plastic feed bin. It is one sold for dog food, holds 2 x 20kg bags of corn. It seals when shut. The corn is lose in it and don’t have any problems with it. I’ll take a photo of it tomorrow Buster.
trench

March 22nd, 2019, 10:25 pm

I would just empty them into the bin without a liner, I think the plastic bag will be more likely to make it sweat than the bin. I have storage bins that I got from Ikea, the bigger ones take two bags and the smaller ones one bag. They do stack on top of each other nicely but I did have to put strips of ply wood between each one as the weight is a bit too much for the lids.
I have to honest they do have a funny smell in them but the corn seems to be fine and the birds seem to be doing fine.
Bryngwynt

March 22nd, 2019, 10:29 pm

I keep my corn in plastic bin loose,never had a problem.It also holds 2 x 20kg bags of corn.
Results achieved in past 2 years
1st x 22
2nd x 26
3rd x 17
4th x 19
5th x 16
buster121

March 23rd, 2019, 6:26 am

trench wrote:
I would just empty them into the bin without a liner, I think the plastic bag will be more likely to make it sweat than the bin. I have storage bins that I got from Ikea, the bigger ones take two bags and the smaller ones one bag. They do stack on top of each other nicely but I did have to put strips of ply wood between each one as the weight is a bit too much for the lids.
I have to honest they do have a funny smell in them but the corn seems to be fine and the birds seem to be doing fine.
That is where the main problem is for me, as if I did that I would have to keep picking it up to empty to get last bits out, and that is what I am trying to avoid, if I left last bits in and kept putting more food in then eventually the stuff on bottom will go bad, that was the thinking behind a liner pity can't get a big hession one that would do it
Thanks for advice folks
Andy123

March 23rd, 2019, 7:55 am

buster121 wrote:
trench wrote:
That is where the main problem is for me, as if I did that I would have to keep picking it up to empty to get last bits out, and that is what I am trying to avoid, if I left last bits in and kept putting more food in then eventually the stuff on bottom will go bad, that was the thinking behind a liner pity can't get a big hession one that would do it
Thanks for advice folks
We do sometimes have peanuts (25kg) delivered in hessian bags. Haven’t lately, seem to be coming in a kind of plastic/nylon sack. We bag these down. If I get any hessian ones I’ll keep some for you Buster if you want.
devo56

March 23rd, 2019, 9:09 am

I just use large plastic containers, which hold 1 bag of corn in each one. The corn store is only 3 miles from me so no need to carry a large stock. When I come to refill I put the last of the corn in a bucket, then put it on top of the new corn keeping it rotated.
lestheeagle

March 23rd, 2019, 9:46 am

I bought four plastic dustbins last year and no problem as occurred.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.
buster121

March 23rd, 2019, 1:37 pm

Andy123 wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 7:55 am
buster121 wrote:
trench wrote:
Thanks for advice folks
We do sometimes have peanuts (25kg) delivered in hessian bags. Haven’t lately, seem to be coming in a kind of plastic/nylon sack. We bag these down. If I get any hessian ones I’ll keep some for you Buster if you want.
Thanks Andy but doubt if would be big enough, my bin is minimum 3 feet high could be more

Return to “Health & Feeding”