Pigeon in my garden for 10 days

Post the details of the found pigeon here.
likecockatoos

September 2nd, 2016, 2:13 pm

A pigeon appeared in my garden around noon on Monday 22nd August. It has been here for 11 days now and I'm worried about it. It spends most of the time on the roof of my house or on the fence in the back garden. It has been extremely hot so I put a deep dish of water on the lawn and some sunflower hearts, which was all I had available. I saw it eat and drink.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how I might catch it? It's not injured and flies off if I try to get anywhere near it. I know I need to get the number from it's leg ring before I can try and find its owner. Other than that all I can do is ask if anyone is missing a pigeon since 22nd August which has a blue ring around it's right leg and would have been on a flight path over the Tamworth area of Staffordshire. It's not very big so it might be a girl pigeon.

Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks very much.
PVDMR

September 2nd, 2016, 4:25 pm

Have you got a shed?
If so open the door,try and coax the bird to go into the shed/outhouse by throwing odd pieces of corn
Once through the door,close it! ( Wallah ) it's yours :P
Pick the bird up...pen and paper at the ready...Gb ring number
Or if you are Lucky..pull out the wing gently,on the flights/feathers near the end there Might be a Stamp with a contact no ;)
Also it might have a leg ring telephone contact number

You could Try....to stop feeding it,it might get it into its head to head off home,seeing it's flying off!

Good luck!!!
TBone96

September 3rd, 2016, 10:43 am

Have you had any joy catching the bird yet
likecockatoos

September 3rd, 2016, 11:08 am

Thanks for your replies PVDMR and TBone96. I've had no luck getting anywhere near catching it yet. I do have a shed but it's a brick built one at the side of the house with no direct access to the outside so it won't go in there. I have a greenhouse at the top of the garden which I'll put a trail of food into and see if it follows. I've not been feeding it every day; I want to encourage it to go home. I have left water for it every day though while it's been so hot and dry. I read somewhere that pigeons need to drink from a deep container rather than a shallow one because of the way they drink. I'm thinking now that it must be really lost and doesn't know its way home after what is now 12 days here.

Please can anyone tell me what the colour of the leg ring means. I've been told it is a colour coded thing which indicates a particular race.
PVDMR

September 3rd, 2016, 11:42 am

GB..Leg ring,Blue this year I think.
I use NWHU Rings ..this year Black!
Don't worry if it has anything upstairs ( Brain ) it will go!!

All the Best

Stuart
TBone96

September 3rd, 2016, 12:50 pm

If and when you catch it the ring should have letters and numbers on so the will help find the owner it's like a car registration lol...
Good luck keep us up dated
likecockatoos

September 6th, 2016, 10:13 am

To anyone who is interested, the pigeon is still here. I don't think I'll ever be able to catch it; as soon as a open my door it flies off. I've watched it (from a window) trying to make friends with a collared dove, which is quite sweet to see. The pigeon now flies off for a while - there are a lot of big, mature trees in the cemetary close by. I will, of course, still look for an opportunity to catch it if one presents itself but I'm becoming used to the thought that I've got another helpless animal which needs my help to survive.
PVDMR

September 6th, 2016, 10:40 am

Nice one...like I said Stop feeding it,you encourage the bird to stay!
It will go.. :)

I have a stray in at the moment,been here over 2 weeks..contacted the owner twice supposed to be sending a courier for it :roll:
Think he must be waiting for it to moult out,it was well into the moult when it dropped in here!!
NWHU C ring from the Wirral
likecockatoos

September 6th, 2016, 11:27 pm

PVDRM I'm not feeding it on purpose; I put out food on a daily basis for all the birds who are in my garden and at nights for the foxes and hedgehogs who come around too.

What is moulting out? Is it something to do with shedding feathers. I'm learning about pigeons on this site. Never thought I'd want to but one never knows.
buster121

September 7th, 2016, 7:04 am

Yes its when they grow there new feathers

Return to “Found Pigeon”