Question from Weezey

Need any help or advice post here.
Andy123

April 20th, 2018, 8:40 am

I have posted this question up form Weezey.

Hi Guys, after a bit of info. Had to chicks hatch on Easter Sunday and everything seemed well and parents where feeding them fine. Checked on them at 10 days old and one was very lethargic and cold to the touch could not see any signs of injury all looked pretty clean to me,checked again the following morning and he/she had died in the night :cry: Then two days later the other chick passed. The day before i was in the loft giving it a clean out and he/she was wondering around the loft,climbing in and out of the corn bowel. Then later that day i noticed a different pair of birds where in the nest that he/she was in and the next morning i checked in and he/she had passed and the new pair had laid an egg in the nest he/she was in. The parents to both the chicks that passed are my old birds and have breed in the past with no problems at all.
Dos anyone have any ideas on what may have caused them to pass.

Many Thanks in advance for any advice
Andy123

April 20th, 2018, 8:47 am

I would say myself Weezey that what has probably happened is that the other pair had taken a liking to the nest box so preventing the parents from getting in to the bad and allowing them to feed and sit on the youngsters. Unfortunately these sort of things do happen from time to time. Hopefully the pair turft out of the box will take over another one. As a matter of interest have the pair that have laid the eggs in that box got big youngsters in another box? This does sometimes happen.
rainbow

April 20th, 2018, 9:29 am

Hi did you handle the sire and dam like I told you run your fingers along the keel it should have flesh over the keel they may be going light in that case the keel will feel sharp it is very important that you handle your birds you will learn a lot from this

Return to “Help & Advice”