Turning a shed into a loft

Topics relating to construction or maintenance of your loft, boxes and pigeon equipment.
rainbow

November 3rd, 2019, 8:57 pm

have some V perches if you need them free
paul1

November 3rd, 2019, 9:01 pm

rainbow wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 8:57 pm
have some V perches if you need them free
thanks for the offer mate but i have already got some off ebay
trench

November 3rd, 2019, 10:55 pm

paul1 wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 7:40 pm
thanks for all the feedback, i think i will have the boxes along the side wall opposite the trap, that will give me a bit of space to put a few v perches on the back wall between the boxes and trap. I think i will also put some sort of support under the landing board just to make it more sturdy, i will also look at putting some sort of landing board on the inside. Thanks fo the tip about them nesting on top of the boxes will sort that out too.
Can't really add much Paul, great job mate it's looking just the job👍
As others nest boxes on the side wall opposite the trap, perches on the end wall.
Landing board does need strengthening, don't know about the board on the inside of the trap but I am going to try this myself as my trapping has been awful :? :?
Be great to see your first youngsters in there mate, all the best.
trench

November 3rd, 2019, 10:58 pm

Magic wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 12:54 pm
Great job on the nest boxes Paul, well done they look very impressive. The landing board either flat or as you have it with a gentle slope away from the bobbins. The only thing that might cause a problem is whether the landing board would 'bounce' if one or more birds land on it. I feel that the birds are more confident when landing on a more solid platform. This can easily be fixed by putting a length of 2" X !" at 45 Degrees between the loft wall and the landing board. Another thing is the height of the drop from the landing board to the floor. You might think of putting a board below the trap which again can be hinged and lowered when not in use. In my case it is 9" from the landing board to the first platform. From there it is a further 64" to the floor of the loft where the drinkers and feeding trays are but the amount of time lost between the first stage and the second is unbelieveable, mine just do not take kindly to it.
Good advice Magic, I am going to try putting a landing platform inside my traps, it might well help sort my trapping problems, great tip 👍
Muzza

November 4th, 2019, 7:40 am

trench wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 10:58 pm
Magic wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 12:54 pm
Great job on the nest boxes Paul, well done they look very impressive. The landing board either flat or as you have it with a gentle slope away from the bobbins. The only thing that might cause a problem is whether the landing board would 'bounce' if one or more birds land on it. I feel that the birds are more confident when landing on a more solid platform. This can easily be fixed by putting a length of 2" X !" at 45 Degrees between the loft wall and the landing board. Another thing is the height of the drop from the landing board to the floor. You might think of putting a board below the trap which again can be hinged and lowered when not in use. In my case it is 9" from the landing board to the first platform. From there it is a further 64" to the floor of the loft where the drinkers and feeding trays are but the amount of time lost between the first stage and the second is unbelieveable, mine just do not take kindly to it.
Good advice Magic, I am going to try putting a landing platform inside my traps, it might well help sort my trapping problems, great tip 👍
Gotta have one!

I have a shelf running along inside the front. The birds just walk straight in.

If you have bob wires you might want a drop of a few inches, to get them to push in through the wires.
Regards,

Murray
Muzza

November 4th, 2019, 7:53 am

like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Murray
Muzza

November 4th, 2019, 7:55 am

Wow that was a few years ago!
Regards,

Murray
Muzza

November 4th, 2019, 7:57 am

Now its a bit more like
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Murray
Andy123

November 4th, 2019, 8:11 am

Mine just walk in through the wires. My ETS is inside the board they walk onto. They then drop down onto the shelf that I have right along the inside of the loft.
05D7AF19-0D00-4B05-B595-39489ABCF1D4.jpeg
21B82C9E-B50B-4893-8D16-F086621AA885.jpeg
trench

November 4th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Mine do have a shelf running the length of the loft but it's a quite a drop from the wires, the birds usually aim straight for their perches or boxes when they come in but they do take an age to come through the wires some times, especially on a race day 😟🤔😂

Return to “Lofts, Fixtures & Fittings”