Turning a shed into a loft

Topics relating to construction or maintenance of your loft, boxes and pigeon equipment.
Muzza

November 11th, 2019, 7:38 am

Paul, that is a great job. You should be proud of yourself. :D

That is a great loft, and with youngster from a couple of top pigeon racers, you are off to a wonderful start.

I know you are getting advise from all directions, but I will make a couple of suggestions.

1. You have a shelf along the front of the loft. I would remove that drinker from the floor and have two smaller drinkers, one each end of the shelf. As the young birds get bigger, one or two will become dominant, and will push the others away from the water. Also, up at window level it is less likely to be contaminated.

This is what I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Murray
Muzza

November 11th, 2019, 7:41 am

2/ you have done a great job of your nest boxes. Here's a tip. Newspaper.

I always put a newspaper in the box. The soiled sheets can be taken out as required, the box stays clean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Murray
Muzza

November 11th, 2019, 7:44 am

:D Lastly you need to get a few bags of cheap stones and a couple of pavers to put at the door!
Regards,

Murray
Andy123

November 11th, 2019, 8:54 am

Muzza wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 7:38 am
Paul, that is a great job. You should be proud of yourself. :D

That is a great loft, and with youngster from a couple of top pigeon racers, you are off to a wonderful start.

I know you are getting advise from all directions, but I will make a couple of suggestions.

1. You have a shelf along the front of the loft. I would remove that drinker from the floor and have two smaller drinkers, one each end of the shelf. As the young birds get bigger, one or two will become dominant, and will push the others away from the water. Also, up at window level it is less likely to be contaminated.

This is what I have.
I do agree with you Murray, mine are well up off the floor, Paul just needs to be aware that when he first gets the youngsters from both Buster and Rich they may be too young to get up to the shelf so would need to leave the drinker on the floor. But yes I agree, as soon as they are able to get up to the shelf move the drinker up.
paul1

November 11th, 2019, 4:58 pm

ok thanks for the tips, i was planning on getting a smaller drinker, that one is a spare one we used for the chickens so quite big, i will look at getting a couple of smaller ones of the same type.

newspaper whats that Murray? :) as we live in a digital age now i've not bought a paper for years, but having two young kids we do have a lot of paper around so i can pinch some of that, anything that saves work i'm up for.

I think i will probably need a bigger dish for food, or maybe even a trough type feeder.
buster121

November 11th, 2019, 8:31 pm

paul1 wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 4:58 pm
ok thanks for the tips, i was planning on getting a smaller drinker, that one is a spare one we used for the chickens so quite big, i will look at getting a couple of smaller ones of the same type.

newspaper whats that Murray? :) as we live in a digital age now i've not bought a paper for years, but having two young kids we do have a lot of paper around so i can pinch some of that, anything that saves work i'm up for.

I think i will probably need a bigger dish for food, or maybe even a trough type feeder.
Paul as you are in Leicester how far away from Pallatts store are you they have some small feeders cheap and fountain ones with sections in for £3 where you can put 3 different things in grit etc
buster121

November 11th, 2019, 8:33 pm

paul1

November 11th, 2019, 8:46 pm

not too far away buster but are they online only? i can't see a shop address on the website
buster121

November 11th, 2019, 9:15 pm

paul1 wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 8:46 pm
not too far away buster but are they online only? i can't see a shop address on the website
Sure you can collect from there unit give Sammy-Jo a call or send an email mate, have passed my BHW book on so will have to wait until Friday unless someone else has it
buster121

November 11th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Just found it

Dean Pallatt unit 3 Magna Rroad South Wigston Leicester Leicestershire LE18 4ZH United Kingdom 01162478088 07714740230

Return to “Lofts, Fixtures & Fittings”