Roller cages/hutches

Topics relating to construction or maintenance of your loft, boxes and pigeon equipment.
isaacs

April 21st, 2017, 3:28 pm

I know someone who uses 2 roller cages/hutches to house his small team of birds. Firstly this person is doing fine with his birds and has had them in these roller hutches for 8 months or so.

When I first seen them last year I thought they were not very practical, nor big enough to house many birds, although saying that they are built very well and look smart, also kitted out with perches and breeding boxes etc, each hutch is of two small sections.

Anyway i seen them again this morning and they have grown on me. My friend has taken divider section out of middle of one of them to house his 20 ybs and they look okay for room in there with enough perches and room to flap about.
The second roller hutch still has its two sections in which one side houses a few cocks and the second section houses a few hens.
It looks as though this small set up is cute and organized.

What I like about this set up is that you don't ever need to get inside it like you do a loft as you can feed, water and clean at arms length and has decent mesh and poop tray and mesh is wide enough for this to actually work and stay neat and clean. The hutch is on long legs so no bending over I'm 6ft 3inches and its perfect when I was by it. The birds can still flap about as its gotta be 6/7ft or more long when divider taken out. Loads of ventilation and natural lighting when both in winter and in summer and can leave doors open with a nice clear view of the birds but does have inner mesh doors to stop birds getting out, but also plenty of ventilation and light with doors closed.

Downside is that birds cannot fly about too much in there like they could in a normal loft ie from one side of loft to the other, but with flying out your birds daily is this a problem.
Another problem is that this set up would not allow for too many birds I wouldn't of thought, although if you have the garden space you could have numerous numbers of these roller hutches although this may get a bit pricey as they are around £450 for a single hutch.

I will be getting a new loft by the end if the year, I'm in no rush as my personal set up is just fine for my first season but I will have a new set up ready for next and i have an interest in these.
Does anyone have an opinion on these being suitable for racers? I would probably get 3 of them if I were to go for these which would cost just under £1400. I could get a decent 3 section normal pigeon loft for that. So something for me to think about.
Summary at present I'm leaning towards a normal 3 section loft tbh as I'm worried that space for birds might be too much of an issue with these roller hutches but I did like them....something to ponder.
grizzlecock

April 21st, 2017, 5:34 pm

Well isaacs, you could do really well in pigeon racing,because your thinking for yourself,and your so right mate,why do fanciers make pigeon houseing big enough to get into themselves.......its laughable really,all you need is something thats safe and comforable for the birds,why force our fat asses into their home..
The best setup i have ever seen in all my time as a fancier,was a oldboys backgarden,were he had small loft ar top of garden for his yearly youngbirds,and 30"long !5"deep 15 high boxes just srewed on his garden fence...it was simple and superb.......the birds loved it,it was a pleasure just to watch them come and go......he made his management so simple... nothing i have seen compares.. ;)
Potter29

April 21st, 2017, 7:44 pm

Kit boxes are ok until it rains lol then u get wet , loft we corridor for me anyday , atb with wot u decide isaacs
isaacs

April 21st, 2017, 8:22 pm

Thankyou grizzlecock and PS yea potter I never thought of that side of it lol cheers
trench

April 21st, 2017, 10:07 pm

As long as whatever you keep your birds in is well ventilated and dry then I personally don't think it matters what it is, again it's what suits you and what the birds get used to. I don't think space to fly about in the loft matters as long as they are exercised regularly, after all they are in the loft to rest.
The set up you have described and the set up Grizzlecock mentioned is certainly ideal for anyone who suffers with an allergy or pigeon fanciers lung.

Atvb
isaacs

April 22nd, 2017, 8:40 am

Thankyou trench

Return to “Lofts, Fixtures & Fittings”