Blue, flat leg tag?

Need any help or advice post it here.
Finn

October 13th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Hi, my granddaughter has had a 'visitor' recently. A white pigeon or dove decided to roost on her balcony for a few days. It has flown away now but whilst it was at my granddaughters balcony, she found it to be very tame and could be handled easily. The bird had a blue, plastic disc, flat like a washer on one leg. On the disc there was 3 bird symbols and the number 6. Does this mean anything in the pigeon racing world? We had been trying to find out on the internet but could find nothing like it. I ask just out of curiosity now. (Apologies if a similar post appears, I made one earlier but it didn't seem to have got through)
Thanks.
Andy123

October 13th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Hi there, sorry can’t be a bit more helpful, but it wouldn’t be a racing pigeon. A racing pigeons ring would start with letters denoting it’s country of origin, ie GB. This would then be followed by it’s year of birth, then usually another letter and a series of 5 numbers. This can vary from country to country be all follow a similar format. Sounds like it was either, as you say, a dove or a fancy pigeon, with a ring made up just for recognition by it’s owner.
Thanks for inquiring, hope this helps a bit.
Andy
Finn

October 13th, 2018, 11:14 pm

Thanks Andy, I had noticed that there are more details on the tags that I saw on the web. Hopefully, the bird will have found its way back home. It's been interesting reading about your sport, much more to it than initially meets the eye.
Thanks again for replying.
Gary.
stevekulpa

October 14th, 2018, 9:23 am

Yes more to than a lot of people think, I took the lads from work home on Friday on the way back from breakfast, a couple had been before but all I got from the ones that hadn't was wow and the usual questions. well done Finn for trying to help and well done Andy Whos always ready to answer any quiery.
Steve
trench

October 14th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Thanks Gary and to you're Grandaughter for showing an interest and well done Andy for you're response.
I have had a couple of fancy pigeons in over the years (and owned a couple too) and this does seem to be the kind of ring used in the fancy pigeon world, hope the bird made it home.
Having been to your's Steve I would imagine most would just say wow :lol: :lol: Good for you taking the time to show them you're loft, was breakfast on you too mate :D
All the best
stevekulpa

October 14th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Not Likely Trevor there were 4 of them, but I may have to shout them one as when we were here my corn delivery turned up from Gem and they all mucked in and unloaded it easy when there's 6 unloading ;)
trench

October 14th, 2018, 8:29 pm

stevekulpa wrote:
October 14th, 2018, 8:14 pm
Not Likely Trevor there were 4 of them, but I may have to shout them one as when we were here my corn delivery turned up from Gem and they all mucked in and unloaded it easy when there's 6 unloading ;)
:lol: :lol:
If I didn't know better I might think you planned it that way Steve :D

Return to “Help & Advice”