Sour crop

Need any help or advice post it here.
devo56

September 29th, 2018, 7:58 pm

This is for our new member Blackarrow, https://racingpigeonsport.com/sour-crop/
Andy123

September 29th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Well done Dev, not something I’ve ever come across. I have heard of it but wouldn’t know how to treat it.
bkays

September 29th, 2018, 9:08 pm

This is what I know about Sour Crop. It's not something we see very often in pigeon racing.

If it was just one pigeon then it could be crop stasis. Which doesn't happen to often in racing pigeons. The pigeon needs to have its crop manually emptied. You hold it upside down and massage its crop. You get rid of all water and food in the crop. The blockage clears and the bird ends up being fine.

If you've given your pigeons too strong a dose of antibiotics or antibiotics for too long of a time. Then the sour crop could be caused by a fungus infection. You will need to treat the pigeons with a nystatin.

It could be caused by bacterial. Don't feed the birds using the same bag of corn you've been using. Use a different bag. The corn could have been contaminated. As this corn sits in the pigeons crop. The bacteria then starts to multiple in the crop. Treatment would be antibiotics.

It could be caused by canker. It causes a gland to swell in the pigeons crop. It then pushes on the crop outlet. So food isn't able to move from the crop to the stomach. Treatment would be something like flagyl, but you may also have a bacterial infection if the corn has been sitting in the crop too long.

Years ago fanciers on smelling a foul smell coming from the pigeons crop, before it became ill. Would give them charcoal. Old Hand wrote about it and there's an Old Hand product for sour crop. They contain charcoal I think and work well as long as it's found early.

So you need to find out what the exact cause is. Which can be tricky.
buster121

September 29th, 2018, 9:11 pm

You can get charcoal tablets from most chemists, cut one in half give half tablet morning and night for 2 days
bkays

September 29th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Didn't know that Buster that's good to know. Once had a cock who managed to get through a gap I forgot to close. I had put mouse poison down. The cock managed to get in their and eat the poison. I was going to buy the Old Hand charcoal tablets but knew it wouldn't arrive in time.

Knowing chemists sell them now. I would have bought them. He was absolutely fine though and didn't need treating in the end as he only ate a small amount of it.

This was years ago. I think charcoal helps with poisoned birds but would need the research this property.
ConorP

September 29th, 2018, 9:59 pm

The best thing I found for sour crop was Fraser P3 probiotics off eBay, I tried it for a few days when I got it and could really tell the difference when I used it.
stevekulpa

September 29th, 2018, 10:33 pm

If Its more than 1 bird that has died I would think its more serious than sour crop
buster121

September 29th, 2018, 10:42 pm

bkays wrote:
Didn't know that Buster that's good to know. Once had a cock who managed to get through a gap I forgot to close. I had put mouse poison down. The cock managed to get in their and eat the poison. I was going to buy the Old Hand charcoal tablets but knew it wouldn't arrive in time.

Knowing chemists sell them now. I would have bought them. He was absolutely fine though and didn't need treating in the end as he only ate a small amount of it.

This was years ago. I think charcoal helps with poisoned birds but would need the research this property.
Yes mate you are correct it does help with poison, medicinal charcoal tablets around £4 per 100 tablets, you can also get from health shops
bkays

September 29th, 2018, 11:12 pm

buster121 wrote:
September 29th, 2018, 10:42 pm
bkays wrote:

Yes mate you are correct it does help with poison, medicinal charcoal tablets around £4 per 100 tablets, you can also get from health shops
Thanks mate, for that price, I'll get some and keep them just in-case of sour crop and poisoning. I think they help with young bird sickness too. Unfortunately I hear about pigeons being poison in the UK from time to time. As we race long distance and extreme distance. They could come into contact with rat poison if someone's put it down in their balcony etc. So although very unlikely, it could happen. I know one way to tell is that they'll cough up blood for a couple of days.

Also heard a story about a jealous fancier (on pigeon chat I think). Who went to a successful pigeon fanciers loft but couldn't get in. So they threw rat poison in the loft so the pigeons would eat it.

If I get one back and it looks ill but not showing any signs of canker, coccidiosis, worms, bacterial or fungus infections. Then charcoal could come in handy.
buster121

September 30th, 2018, 6:59 am

Also heard a story about a jealous fancier (on pigeon chat I think). Who went to a successful pigeon fanciers loft but couldn't get in. So they threw rat poison in the loft so the pigeons would eat it.

That happened recently as well, if memory serves me well it was up North East area, charcoal clears the toxins out from front to back so keep treated birds seperate

Return to “Help & Advice”