Best race

Need any help or advice post it here.
Cestrian1971

August 16th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Hi I’m wondering which is the “Derby” of the pigeon racing world? The most famous race to win and what is the prize money? Is there many valuable races? :roll: :roll:
trench

August 16th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Hi mate.
Again this depends on whether you are racing North or South Road and which distances fanciers are targeting. However any of the nationals or classics carry high prestige and winning any one of them is many fanciers goal. There is prize money paid out on these races but most of the money picked up is from pools and noms.
The biggest races are usually the longest races with organizations like the BICC, BBC, National flying club or the NRCC, there are other classic clubs depending on you're location. Others may be able to give you more details as I have only ever flown with the NRCC and their biggest race was always Lerwick which was 630miles to me.
All the best
Andy123

August 16th, 2018, 10:13 pm

I would say that the most prestigious races are the Tarbes National with the NFC, certainly over this country, but probably bigger still is the Barcelona international. There is prize money for these, but as Trev says the bigger money is won in pools and noms. The other thing is the value put on the winning pigeons of these races and their offspring.
Some of the One Loft Races have very good prize money and the pigeons are sold after the final race.
Cestrian1971

August 17th, 2018, 9:36 am

Sounds really exciting. I live on the N Wales/Cheshire border. Once I get a few years experience behind me, then I would love to send some birds over if good enough.
CDBL

August 17th, 2018, 10:07 am

Can be all sorts of answers to this as trench and Andy say. Olr is probably the most valuable competition. I would say most 1st prizes are around 15-20k. But samdpr... That's 250. Nowhere near that in club racing or internationals in prize money but you can see birds shoot up in value for winning a Barcelona or international. Purely for breeding
Not so retired racer, part time webmaster and part time distiller
ConorP

August 17th, 2018, 3:23 pm

if your in the North West Combine that is a prestigious one to win with up to about 12000 birds for the inland races.
My favourite race to follow is the UNC Bourges race always exciting to see how it unfolds.
stevekulpa

August 17th, 2018, 5:56 pm

The best race to win is the one your in at the time, But the most prestigious has to be Tarbes NFC although we don't actually fly it far to far for ours. We like the two old hens races within the young bird programme. The NFC and CSCFC we have always done well in both, might be struggling this year as all the hot weather has got the birds racing through the moult and half the team are already out being to far up the wing or body moulting like crazy.
Cestrian1971

August 18th, 2018, 4:09 pm

You can actually win £15000 to £20000 for a single race? Mind you I suspect you need a very special bird and luck. I didn’t realise you can get that sort of money. I know you don’t get anything like that in club races.

Return to “Help & Advice”