Starting Up

Need any help or advice post it here.
Cestrian1971

August 4th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Hi I’m thinking of starting racing pigeons, Now I only have a small garden so I don’t have room for breeding stock, All I want is just racing birds. A loft I’ve seen is very small with 15 perches and wire floor and pull out trays for the poo. The loft is on EBay and it’s 7ft 8 width and 5ft 10inches high, It is built for pigeons. So that’s another reason I can’t have stock birds. Any advice please? Thank you.
devo56

August 4th, 2018, 6:03 pm

I think you have to think about the future when starting in this sport, That is ideal for starting off with a couple of youngsters. If you can afford to by two of these small lofts, you could then race young birds and old birds. Your youngsters in the first year after racing will be your yearlings for the second year. You will get many different views on the subject, just remember all advice is free, so do what is best for yourself and your birds.
Cestrian1971

August 4th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Okay thank you. So I could race my young birds for a couple of seasons and then maybe buy another loft for breeding? Is that what your saying? Thank you.
devo56

August 4th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Hi There, If you race your young birds to that loft. You will then need another loft for young birds for the next season, Where are you based?
Potter29

August 4th, 2018, 8:16 pm

Cestrian1971 wrote:
August 4th, 2018, 7:45 pm
Okay thank you. So I could race my young birds for a couple of seasons and then maybe buy another loft for breeding? Is that what your saying? Thank you.
Yes u could race one youngbird season then one old bird season but as alredy said u would need another loft for next seasons youngbirds , atb
Andy123

August 4th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Hi, you don’t need to have stock birds as you can breed and race the same pigeons. I would say that you could do with a larger loft than that though. Ideally You could do with 2 sections, one for the young birds and one for your old birds. Don’t need to be to large just as big as you can realistically fit in. One section should have nest boxes in for the old birds and one with perches for the young birds. You could just keep 6 pairs of old birds, breed a round of youngsters from them early in the year, or 2 rounds from the best 3 pairs fostering out the first round of eggs, giving you 12 youngsters. Planning is the key, Now is the time to start planning for next year. This years racing has only got about 6 weeks to go now.
Atb Andy
trench

August 6th, 2018, 11:26 pm

Hi and welcome to the site, the size of your loft really depends on how many birds you are wanting to keep and what racing you intend doing. Ideally you do really need at least two sections whatever your aim and methods. You don't necessarily have to breed any youngsters, their are fanciers who don't like the breeding side and are happier buying in kits of youngsters each year. If you then intend keeping them and racing old birds you will need a separate section to race you're old birds too. With limited space you will probably want to race you're old birds naturally then you just need a section with nest boxes so you pair the old birds up for racing.
Many fanciers race very well to small lofts but you will need to be strict on the numbers you keep.
All the very best, hope you manage to get started and enjoy our sport.
Cestrian1971

August 11th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Thank you for the advice 😁
Cestrian1971

August 11th, 2018, 2:48 pm

So when is the best time to buy the youngsters please so I can race them next year?
Potter29

August 11th, 2018, 5:46 pm

Ull not be able to buy any until next year mate (2019 youngbirds have to have 2019 rings on , u could probly find some january time as some breed erlier than others , atb

Return to “Help & Advice”