STRAY FOUND NEED CARE ADVICE

Need any help or advice post it here.
trench

May 30th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Well done you, pleased to hear you have decided to keep the bird, she is one lucky pigeon. The enclosure you have sounds like it should be just fine for her, she will only need something to perch on at the moment just high enough for her to hop on to if she is unable to fly. There are pictures and topics on this site that will give you some idea as to the kind of perches and nest boxes they will use. For feed just a mixed corn or wild bird seed will be fine for her, if you have a local pet shop they will be able to tell you what pigeon corns are available but as you aren't keeping her to breed or race then I would probably just give her mixed corn. Obviously she will need fresh water and should also have access to grit, they do like a bit of green stuff ie cress or lettuce. There are plenty of topics and advice on this site that you may find useful, look at tips for the novice as you may find some answers there.
Good luck with her and ask if you have any concerns and remember no question is silly.
Petedav

May 31st, 2018, 7:52 am

Well done, great to hear she will be well looked after, hope everything goes well at the vets, if you need I can send you a couple of perches and a few other little bits that she may need to get you started. As for food I would get her an all year round mix which would be suitable has she won't be racing. Good luck with her and thank you for caring.
PennyThePigeon

May 31st, 2018, 9:16 am

Thanks everyone for the help!

Contacted the association and Penny is now officially mine :)

That's great, there are currently a few tall boxes and a large cat scratching post in the aviary that she loves to sit on top of (it was our 'summer house' for our indoor cat but he hated it anyway!)

She's been to the vets and they said the wing isn't broken (she can flap to hop upto ledges etc but won't try anything else.)
She is already getting more trusting of me, she stands there while i do her daily clean out/feed and doesn't panic when i come into her home anymore ^-^

Thanks again everyone for the advise and help. I'm sure she will be well looked after! x
Petedav

May 31st, 2018, 9:33 am

Great news well done she looks a nice pigeon,
Andy123

May 31st, 2018, 9:48 am

Great news. As you can tell we are all nuts about our pigeons and this great sport. Hope you enjoy keeping her. You never know maybe the start of things to come :lol: :lol:
trench

May 31st, 2018, 9:58 pm

PennyThePigeon wrote:
May 31st, 2018, 9:16 am
Thanks everyone for the help!

Contacted the association and Penny is now officially mine :)

That's great, there are currently a few tall boxes and a large cat scratching post in the aviary that she loves to sit on top of (it was our 'summer house' for our indoor cat but he hated it anyway!)

She's been to the vets and they said the wing isn't broken (she can flap to hop upto ledges etc but won't try anything else.)
She is already getting more trusting of me, she stands there while i do her daily clean out/feed and doesn't panic when i come into her home anymore ^-^

Thanks again everyone for the advise and help. I'm sure she will be well looked after! x
Good news, it sounds like she has got it made :D
They can get very friendly especially if you have a peanut or two for them, I hope you get lots of pleasure from keeping her. As Petedav has already said, thank you for careing and we are hear to offer any further support or advice you might need.
All the very best to you.
PennyThePigeon

June 5th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Thanks again everyone. Penny is doing great. Got her pen all kitted out now!
Oh and the vets said her wings had been clipped.
So it would explain why the owner was ignoring my messages and kept lying about ringing me.
They did intentionally? We live across the road from a very large park.
I wonder if she was dumped there?
Anyway! She's happy and loving her peanuts and mealworms 😂
buster121

June 5th, 2018, 1:46 pm

People tend to clip the wings on new birds to stop them flying, so they can get used to there surroundings, sometimes they do manage to get off the ground but as there wings are clipped makes flying difficult and they drop in all sorts of places, this does not excuse the irresponsible owner for his actions or rather the lack of them
Anyway sounds like Penny is better with you, may I ask if you are feeding her seeds as well, keep up the good work and thanks again for looking after her
PennyThePigeon

June 5th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Yeah poor thing. I just don't understand how she got here? (we are a good 2-3 hours drive away from the address where she is registered)
Oh well she is loving her new 'cage' now it's all been done up!

Oh yeah she has Pigeon corn and grit down all the time. She just gets mealworms and peanuts as treats :D
Andy123

June 5th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Sounds like she’s getting well treated. Strange about the clipped wing. It is also a bad impression that the owner gives of the pigeon fraternity.

Return to “Help & Advice”