STRAY FOUND NEED CARE ADVICE

Need any help or advice post it here.
PennyThePigeon

May 27th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Our neighbour found a pigeon on their doorstep and it had laid an egg. (I don't know what has happened to the egg since, they never said)
The bird was given food and water, incase she was tired, then the food was removed. (as to not encourage her to stay)

She was in their garden for 2 days straight
(She is just walking about/sitting down. She isn't flying into trees/bushes or anything, just sat in the open)

We have a LOT of cats in our area and they told me about the pigeon, as they were going away for the weekend.
She is now safe inside our outdoor aviary, but still refusing to fly. (She's been here for a total of 5 days now)

~Very long story short here.~

I've contacted the relevant association (via their website) and using her ring number I've found her owners information.
Only issue is there is no email address linked to it, and the phone number they have is dead when you try to call it.

I intend on calling the association after the bank holiday and ask their advise on where to go from here (the association isn't far from the owners house so I'm hoping they can contact them some how)

I'm more than happy to care for her until she can be reunited with the owner.
I just wanted some care advice for her to ensure she is happy and healthy during her stay here.
devo56

May 27th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Thank you for all the good work you are doing with her, if you could just keep her safe in the aviary with some food and water. Then you should phone them back on Tuesday and tell them you would like them to act on behalf of the bird. It is their duty of care to contact the owner and make arrangements, for the welfare of the bird. Once again thank you, for helping our sport.
buster121

May 27th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Hi Thank you for looking after the bird, it may have an injury and that is why not flying, put the ring number up and I will try and find ring secretay's number, he will know who the ring was issued to, have you had a look under wing feathers sometimes some fanciers stamp and others phone number ring, then you have the lazy ones
If you dont want to put number up, then you can put a search in for RPRA ring list for relevant year then search through for the number
Hope this helps
trench

May 27th, 2018, 9:42 pm

As has already been said many thanks to you and you're neighbours for careing for this bird and for taking the trouble and time to try and find its home.
Devo and Buster have already given you the information you need, I hope you manage to get the bird back to its home soon.
Thanks and best wishes
PennyThePigeon

May 30th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Thanks a lot!
Long story short, after calling about 8 different people over the last few days trying to get a straight answer.
The registered owner no longer has pigeons and doesn't want her back.

(Edit, Also still cannot fly. Going to take her the vets tomorrow.)
Petedav

May 30th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Where are you from penny
trench

May 30th, 2018, 9:50 pm

PennyThePigeon wrote:
May 30th, 2018, 9:13 pm
Thanks a lot!
Long story short, after calling about 8 different people over the last few days trying to get a straight answer.
The registered owner no longer has pigeons and doesn't want her back.

(Edit, Also still cannot fly. Going to take her the vets tomorrow.)
Sorry to hear you have been unable to get the bird back to her home, on behalf of the racing pigeon fraternity thank you for all you're care and perseverance.
Best wishes.
PennyThePigeon

May 30th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Thanks a lot. I'm going to speak to the association tomorrow to see where we go from here.
We will see what the vet says about the state of her physically. Hopefully nothing too serious.

I am more than happy to keep her.
Could anyone give me some advise? More on just making her happy. (I've never owned a pigeon in my life! so apologies if anything i ask sounds stupid.)

What are fun things for her to have inside the pen she is in? (perches, toys maybe even boxes attached up high for her to get into? etc) She has already had a bath and seemed to enjoy it.

Food wise? (Good place to get her decent food, treats she can have things to avoid etc)

Also she is inside a 6ft x 4 ft x 4ft outdoor roofed enclosure. (Only one of the sides is mesh so she's protected from the weather)
Is this good enough for her?

Thanks!
stevekulpa

May 30th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Pigeons are quite lazy they are not like parrots at all they don't play with toys etc, all they will do is lounge around all day ,the aviary you have her in is perfect as long as she's got a perch or two to get her off the floor she'll feel safe You should be able to get her very tame and she will eat from your hand if you feed her a little a couple of times a day, she will only need about 1 1/2 oz a day of pigeon corn which you can buy a pet shop and fresh water rom any sort of dish. As for her not being able to fly she may have damaged or broken her wing although she wont be able to fly she will be quite happy living in a aviary.
Steve.
Andy123

May 30th, 2018, 10:25 pm

If you are happy to keep her, it may be the best thing for her. No questions will be stupid ones.
The enclosure you have her in will be more than adequate. She will like to perch up high if able to get up there. A box or 2 would also be good for her to call her own. They certainly do enjoy a bath and would be worth giving her one once a week. She won’t need any toys but will enjoy the company of you when your there.
You may well be able to get a small amount of pigeon or dove food from your local pet shop, she will also enjoy a few peanuts.
Sounds like she’s going to be one spoilt pigeon. Hope things go well at the vets.
Good luck with her and hope you enjoy your pigeon keeping experience.
Andy
Last edited by Andy123 on May 31st, 2018, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Help & Advice”