Breaking birds

Need any help or advice post it here.
Eastyorkflyer

May 31st, 2019, 10:06 am

Get them paired and down on eggs then they are going nowhere πŸ‘ but can I ask why are you letting stock birds fly ??? Anything of value or quality should be a prisoner in my opinion with a decent flight to spend the day in
Eastyorkflyer

May 31st, 2019, 10:11 am

Muzza wrote: ↑
May 31st, 2019, 9:48 am
Forgive me for putting my two bob's worth in.

I never keep prisoners. Every youngster is flown out as soon as it is big enough to fly. Regardless of how 'Royally' it is bred. Well bred pigeons taste the same as a poorly bred one, according to the hawks.

I was gifted a pair of babies once. Very well bred, from a top winning family, for the stock loft. Beautiful youngsters too.

Latter that year the bloke who gave them to me asked how they were. I told him they were great! They had had all the tosses with the racing young birds, out to 70 km, and were now paired up and in the loft.

He went quiet, then asked, ' You trained them? '

'Of course', I said. If a pigeon cannot pass the training which a normal young bird gets, it isn't good enough to spend it's life in the stock shed, no matter how well bred it is!
Just my opinion but anything of value and quality that is stock loft material stays a prisoner my cheapest bird was Β£1500 and most expensive Β£3450 I would never risk flying them
Muzza

May 31st, 2019, 10:47 am

And that is how it should be. You paid the money, you make your decisions.

I, for one, would never fault you for that.

You would have had a seizure if you had seen the little eagle carving my pigeons up late this afternoon. They were scattered all over the sky, and fell like stones onto the board when I started calling them down.

I was a bit worried about the younger birds, and did a head count. I didn't give the stock pigeons a thought until latter. The old Van Loon cock, the Jansenn X Van de Rhree's, and the Jos Thone's, they are all there. They are too smart to get caught by an upstart little hawk!

They were allowed to learn the ropes when they were young birds. Now some of them are getting on a bit, but they are still too good for the hawks. :D :D
Regards,

Murray
Eastyorkflyer

May 31st, 2019, 11:57 am

You would have had a seizure if you had seen the little eagle carving my pigeons up late this afternoon. They were scattered all over the sky, and fell like stones onto the board when I started calling them down.

I was a bit worried about the younger birds, and did a head count. I didn't give the stock pigeons a thought until latter. The old Van Loon cock, the Jansenn X Van de Rhree's, and the Jos Thone's, they are all there. They are too smart to get caught by an upstart little hawk!

They were allowed to learn the ropes when they were young birds. Now some of them are getting on a bit, but they are still too good for the hawks. :D :D
πŸ‘Œ I'm lucky with the hawks near me we had 3 they had accidents 😁 and I've not had any since 🀞 it stays that way
buster121

May 31st, 2019, 6:25 pm

Eastyorkflyer wrote: ↑

πŸ‘Œ I'm lucky with the hawks near me we had 3 they had accidents 😁 and I've not had any since 🀞 it stays that way
Wish the ones around here would have accidents :D :D
Eastyorkflyer

May 31st, 2019, 7:03 pm

buster121 wrote: ↑
May 31st, 2019, 6:25 pm
Eastyorkflyer wrote: ↑

Wish the ones around here would have accidents :D :D
Sacrifice birds with bal chatri vest on πŸ‘Œ lots of accidents πŸ˜‚
Andy123

May 31st, 2019, 10:54 pm

Each to there own and every one does things differently. I also don’t and never have kept prisoners. Although I must admit I have never paid much for any pigeons. My best ever stock cock cost me Β£10. A Van Hee cock that bred lots of winners and bred a hen to top the Cornish Combine twice from Rennes when he was 14 years old. He flew out from 5 different loft locations over the years and was in the pedigree of nearly all the pigeons I had when I packed up. I also had a hen that bred winners for fun, she was useless at racing but was the nestmate to my Lerwick winner. She was of my own breeding so cost nothing. I know my way takes longer to get a team of reliable pigeons, but the breeding is a part that I most enjoy.
Potter29

June 1st, 2019, 8:45 am

I broke 14 coks wile sitting , been loft flying and training well , first race today at new location we broken pigeons fingers xd they come ok , nt expecting much but aslong as i get them ill be happy just hoping they dont drop at old place as its 2 mile south of me 😬
Eastyorkflyer

June 1st, 2019, 8:57 am

Andy123 wrote: ↑
May 31st, 2019, 10:54 pm
Each to there own and every one does things differently. I also don’t and never have kept prisoners. Although I must admit I have never paid much for any pigeons. My best ever stock cock cost me Β£10. A Van Hee cock that bred lots of winners and bred a hen to top the Cornish Combine twice from Rennes when he was 14 years old. He flew out from 5 different loft locations over the years and was in the pedigree of nearly all the pigeons I had when I packed up. I also had a hen that bred winners for fun, she was useless at racing but was the nestmate to my Lerwick winner. She was of my own breeding so cost nothing. I know my way takes longer to get a team of reliable pigeons, but the breeding is a part that I most enjoy.
I also love the breeding and testing part of it Andy πŸ‘Œ but like my father always told me you will never make a Ferrari from a ford no matter how much work you do to it πŸ˜‚ but you have great birds and I see how committed you are so you will create a nice family mate I have no doubts πŸ‘
Eastyorkflyer

June 1st, 2019, 9:00 am

Potter29 wrote: ↑
June 1st, 2019, 8:45 am
I broke 14 coks wile sitting , been loft flying and training well , first race today at new location we broken pigeons fingers xd they come ok , nt expecting much but aslong as i get them ill be happy just hoping they dont drop at old place as its 2 mile south of me 😬
Good luck with them mate πŸ‘

Return to β€œHelp & Advice”