Breaking birds

Need any help or advice post it here.
ConorP

May 25th, 2018, 2:19 pm

I tried to break 5 stock hens out last year, opened the door when the others were getting a bath and they jumped straight in with them so I thought they should be alrite after an hour or 2 then as soon as I left them a hawk hit them, I don’t really get hit by hawks even tho there around so I don’t know wether it was bad luck or the hawk noticed they was naive but In future I’m going to clip them and hope they stay once the flights grow back.
Andy123

May 25th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Whilst I agree with what you’re saying Conor I do worry that anything that inhibits their flying would also make them more vulnerable if attaked. Even when bathing, my youngsters were out on the loft yesterday afternoon in the heavy rain. They were like drowned rats, if a hawk had been around they wouldn’t have had much chance of getting away.
ConorP

May 25th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Andy123 wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 3:37 pm
Whilst I agree with what you’re saying Conor I do worry that anything that inhibits their flying would also make them more vulnerable if attaked. Even when bathing, my youngsters were out on the loft yesterday afternoon in the heavy rain. They were like drowned rats, if a hawk had been around they wouldn’t have had much chance of getting away.
Ye I agree mate, in a ideal world we wouldn’t have to worry about attacks but just part of racing now so got to compromise.
trench

May 25th, 2018, 9:59 pm

buster121 wrote:
May 25th, 2018, 6:15 am
Andy123 wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 9:28 pm
As they are all home bred and know no other loft I would give them the choice of go or stay. Hopefully most will stay.
that was my thoughts with the ones in aviary, it's the others without I need to give a chance to stay to
Again if it was me mate I would get them out in the basket several times so they can see where they are and try them out once they are on eggs.
All the best Buster.
buster121

May 26th, 2018, 6:23 am

Thanks all for the replies and ideas/tips
buster121

May 27th, 2018, 11:17 am

One other question please, do you think cocks or hens easier to break
devo56

May 27th, 2018, 11:20 am

I think it depends on motivation to return, sitting eggs, feeding chicks or if they are paired up. I think this plays a major factor on breaking them out but i would say breaking a hen, due to her wanting to make a home.
Andy123

May 27th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Funny enough I would say cocks. If the hens are in the loft the cocks won’t go far espresso if driving. Even better if the hen is already broken as the cock will follow her everywhere even when flying.
trench

May 27th, 2018, 2:58 pm

I think I would tend to agree with Andy on this one, however Cocks do have a tendency to wonder whereas hens do sometimes tend to want to stay closer to home.
I also agree with Dev that motivation is still the biggest driving force which is why I would try them at different stages and not altogether as I suggested in an earlier post.
I know it's a bit off the original question but I still say a hen in the right condition and mind set will beat any cock (especially from the distance) as her desire to get home is much greater.
Muzza

May 31st, 2019, 9:48 am

Forgive me for putting my two bob's worth in.

I never keep prisoners. Every youngster is flown out as soon as it is big enough to fly. Regardless of how 'Royally' it is bred. Well bred pigeons taste the same as a poorly bred one, according to the hawks.

I was gifted a pair of babies once. Very well bred, from a top winning family, for the stock loft. Beautiful youngsters too.

Latter that year the bloke who gave them to me asked how they were. I told him they were great! They had had all the tosses with the racing young birds, out to 70 km, and were now paired up and in the loft.

He went quiet, then asked, ' You trained them? '

'Of course', I said. If a pigeon cannot pass the training which a normal young bird gets, it isn't good enough to spend it's life in the stock shed, no matter how well bred it is!
Regards,

Murray

Return to “Help & Advice”