Breaking birds

Need any help or advice post it here.
buster121

May 24th, 2018, 8:28 pm

OK folks looking for some help on best way to proceed, as you know I have lost 3 top stock cocks this last week, I have several home grown birds never flown out and in light of recent event have decided to try and break them
What I'm looking for is some ideas and tips to achive it, for example just open door and let em out and hope for the best( this would apply to ones with access to aviary) others only look out the doors at fence and trees and these are the ones that were lost from

thanks folks for looking
devo56

May 24th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Are they paired up mate, if they are i would let them have some latebreds, then try them after feeding the chicks for a week. I am
going to try break a few this week, they are going mad to get out.
Andy123

May 24th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Were the 3 that you lost home bred Buster? I have found over the years that you can keep pigeons in to long and when let out all they want to do is fly.
You could soap the flights but I’ve never tried that so don’t know how successful it is and would think that it could make them vulnerable to hawks. Personally if you are happy with what you have from them and have enough to keep the family line going I would just open them up while you have other birds out and take a chance.
Good luck Buster with what ever you decide to do.
buster121

devo56 wrote:
Are they paired up mate, if they are i would let them have some latebreds, then try them after feeding the chicks for a week. I am
Some are some not, do not want any more young mate so cant do that
buster121

May 24th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Andy123 wrote:
Were the 3 that you lost home bred Buster? I have found over the years that you can keep pigeons in to long and when let out all they want to do is fly.
You could soap the flights but I’ve never tried that so don’t know how successful it is and would think that it could make them vulnerable to hawks. Personally if you are happy with what you have from them and have enough to keep the family line going I would just open them up while you have other birds out and take a chance.
Good luck Buster with what ever you decide to do.
Yes mate home bred, to many cats and hawks here to soap em did think about it though
Andy123

May 24th, 2018, 9:28 pm

As they are all home bred and know no other loft I would give them the choice of go or stay. Hopefully most will stay.
Potter29

May 24th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Ide go with wot andy says above , i always have other settled birds out n about wen trying settle new birds and keep them very hungry , atb
trench

May 24th, 2018, 9:50 pm

It's a real shame you have lost those stock birds Buster, as Andy says unfortunately when birds have been locked up for some time they come out and fly without taking in their surroundings this can also be the same with home grown youngsters if you don't get them out soon enough. Hopefully as you're home bred one's have had access to an aviary you won't have too much trouble. If it was me I would get them sitting on eggs first, put them in the basket so they can see the front of the loft a couple of times putting them back in through the trap each time you do it. If it's cock birds you are breaking I would try letting them out in the morning around 10 days sitting, if it's hens I would try them in the late afternoon nearer to chipping time.
Good luck mate and good luck with your's also Devo.
buster121

May 25th, 2018, 6:15 am

Andy123 wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 9:28 pm
As they are all home bred and know no other loft I would give them the choice of go or stay. Hopefully most will stay.
that was my thoughts with the ones in aviary, it's the others without I need to give a chance to stay to
buster121

May 25th, 2018, 6:17 am

devo56 wrote:
Good luck with them

Return to “Help & Advice”