Aviary and Heat

Need any help or advice post it here.
buster121

May 7th, 2018, 2:07 pm

We all know the heat can have an effect on the birds including YBS, so I ask this question what are peoples thoughts on open roof aviary or covered in this hot spell
devo56

May 7th, 2018, 2:33 pm

I keep mine covered, and move the birds back into the loft every few hours making sure they are getting a drink.
grizzlecock

May 7th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Hi Buster,thing is ,how often do we get this hot weather...not often,i cant stand aviaries on front of lofts...they make lofts look shabby...but put on the back,out the way of view,i think they are very important,as long as the birds can come and go as the please itdoes not matter about this weatheronly downside of open roof aviary will be droppings from other birds,could cause big problems in you have not got wire floor way of the ground
Andy123

May 7th, 2018, 3:00 pm

A very good question Buster. I haven’t got aviaries so can only comment on my birds. As I said in a post yesterday mine are all, young and old, on open loft altogether. Today it is 26c outside and 28c inside the loft. There have been a few birds laying out on top of the loft but most are inside. There isn’t much flying going on though.
rainbow

May 7th, 2018, 5:44 pm

my aviary is at the back small but just right for the bath I have widen the opening to 4ft x 3 ft covered it with plastic in the winter and have still left the top covered
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trench

May 7th, 2018, 9:16 pm

As long as the birds can choose whether to sit in the sun or shade and have access to water I don't think it really matters Buster, the birds will get out of the heat if they want too. My birds often lay in the front of my loft on a sunny day but not many were in it today. The birds need vitamin D like every other creature and the best way to get that is from the sun so why shut it out.
My birds have also been on an open loft all day, they didn't fly much until this afternoon but certainly weren't as bothered by the sun as I was :lol:

Return to “Help & Advice”