What would you do ??

Need any help or advice post it here.
trench

February 12th, 2018, 9:55 pm

I have a small dilemma and would like to hear the views of others please.
As you know my loft is well on its way to completion but it could still be a few weeks before I can settle my old birds in there. The young bird section should be ready to go by this weekend but I still have to make the nest boxes and perches for the old bird section. Now my birds have been together all winter and I have 7 pairs (nesting wherever they can) who's eggs I have been throwing out and letting them sit pot eggs. I have two pairs who have just laid again, do I let them hatch these which will mean I won't be able to move them into the new loft much before racing starts. Or do I stay patient and hold tight for a couple more weeks so I can get them in the new loft and settled in good time for racing. That will mean the youngsters will be a bit later than I had hoped for but the old birds will be sitting eggs or feeding youngsters when racing starts. I'll be interested in hearing your views and opinions as always.
Best wishes all.
Andy123

February 12th, 2018, 10:28 pm

As time is pushing on now I would be tempted to let them rear them where they are Bruv, you can then move them over to the new loft when you wean the youngsters. They will soon settle to it. At least then you will have youngsters ready to race. When the loft is ready you can still move over the old birds that aren’t nesting at the time or as and when their ready.
Last edited by Andy123 on February 12th, 2018, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PVDMR

February 12th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Me,mmmm,I'd wait and till I've completed the loft ( Totally) only then I would put them into there new nestboxes,allowing them to settle in there new home.
As for racing side of it.....if it where me I'd just race youngsters this year,and train the old birds steady away
Ready for next year!
The choice is yours mate,we're all different,with different views.

Best Wishes

Stuart😉
Starter46

February 12th, 2018, 11:30 pm

If it was me I would leave them where they are until your loft is finished, only because you will rush to get it finished and it won't be what you want if you no what I mean . And then you will have to do it again to get what you really wanted ... if that makes any sense 😫
rainbow

February 13th, 2018, 12:00 am

were my birds nest I leave them 2 in nest boxes one on top and 3 on the floor
rainbow

February 13th, 2018, 7:59 am

:ugeek:
rainbow wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 12:00 am
were my birds nest I leave them 2 in nest boxes one on top and 3 on the floor
forgot to say 2 pair in the perches
Magic

February 13th, 2018, 9:23 am

I would leave them where they are also Trev until the new loft is complete. Time is getting on and the whole season goes all too quickly as you well know. The young birds are very adaptable and the old birds will race to their old loft quite happily for you giving you plenty of time to settle them into their new quarters at the end of their season. The best of luck my friend.
Aim for the Moon, even if you miss you will land among the stars.
Potter29

February 13th, 2018, 9:51 am

Me too ide leave them be so u get the new loft exactly how u want it with no rushing ,atb
devo56

February 13th, 2018, 10:34 am

One step at a time mate, but the first step finish the work you have to do. Then you can get them all settled and let them pick their own nest box, far better to not put stress on yourself and the birds.
Bryngwynt

February 13th, 2018, 11:17 am

Magic wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 9:23 am
I would leave them where they are also Trev until the new loft is complete. Time is getting on and the whole season goes all too quickly as you well know. The young birds are very adaptable and the old birds will race to their old loft quite happily for you giving you plenty of time to settle them into their new quarters at the end of their season. The best of luck my friend.
Sound advise do it once,but do it proper that’s my morale these days.Mistakes cost time and money.
Results achieved in past 2 years
1st x 22
2nd x 26
3rd x 17
4th x 19
5th x 16

Return to “Help & Advice”