In up to my knees!

Carnt find the answer your looking for? Post it here, someone will be willing to help.
devo56

June 9th, 2019, 6:38 pm

To answer your questions Saul, Firstly you must teach and instil to yourself and birds. Good habits not Bad ones, If your birds are out of the loft they must be flying. Not sitting around on the roof eating moss. if they are not exercising they should be in the loft. Get them in a routine so they become regimented to your call.
Muzza

June 9th, 2019, 9:35 pm

You have had good advise from these blokes, Saul.

Leaving little ones sitting on the roof for hours will teach them to sit on the roof.

They are young and like to have an explore of their environment, but you need to start getting them out for exercise and back in the loft.
Regards,

Murray
trench

June 10th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Hi Saul sorry I have missed some of you're earlier posts but have had quite a lot on over the last week. Well done on the loft upgrade, looks good mate.
Sounds to me like everything is going just as it should at the moment and you are doing a good job. It's a shame you havn't been given a bit more info on local clubs, there are a few around you as some of them race in the same federation as me (The south coast fed), you could go on the website and email the Secretary (Peter Gretton) and he could give you some information or contact the regional secretary (Hazel Marsh) as others have said you can join as a non flying member just to meet up with a few fanciers and get to understand what goes on.
This sport can be very confusing and frustrating to the newcomer as there are many different views on how to keep and race pigeons and there are plenty of ups and downs along the way. I have to disagree with some of the advice you have been given (but this is my choice and doesn't make it right) as my birds are on open loft and spend plenty of time sat on the roof tops but they are at liberty to fly on and off as often as they choose. They will be out in all weathers and its up to them if they want to come out or stay in the dry and warm shed, I feed twice a day and most do come in when called but some not as quick as I'd like. I don't take their food away so they usually have some in the troughs throughout the day and they also have beans add lib, I have to honest and admit they don't always trap well on race days but on the shorter races there is no way my team are going to compete with the widowhood fliers and those on ets trapping systems so for me it's mostly just for fun so don't get too upset about it these days. All the time you are just keeping them for pleasure then what you are doing is just the job, if you decide to race in the future then you can address your methods again. All the best mate and enjoy you're birds.
CDBL

June 10th, 2019, 7:00 pm

See this is the thing about pigeons as demonstrated by this forum. Everyone has their own way. Yours will be what works for you. :)
Not so retired racer, part time webmaster and part time distiller
Andy123

June 10th, 2019, 8:59 pm

I’m afraid I too have different views from some. It does depend a lot though on what distance you want to compete at, but I don’t worry about birds sitting on the roofs. Mine have been on open loft all year in all weathers. They bath when it’s raining and fly when they want to. I have only tried flagging once for a period back in the 80s but didn’t like it and gave it up after a couple of weeks and have never felt it necessary since.
I did start just letting them out twice a day a week ago and keeping them a bit tighter on food because of bad trapping and not coming in at night. In 3 days they were all trapping as soon as I blew the whistle. Had them back on open loft today, they spent all afternoon sat on the house roof in the rain, but after cleaning out I blew the whistle and they were all straight down and in.
As others have said many different ways and views, just need to find one that suits you. This will also determine what pigeons you keep as some will do well on one system and not on another.
Muzza

June 10th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Andy123 wrote:
I’m afraid I too have different views from some. It does depend a lot though on what distance you want to compete at, but I don’t worry about birds sitting on the roofs. Mine have been on open loft all year in all weathers. They bath when it’s raining and fly when they want to. I have only tried flagging once for a period back in the 80s but didn’t like it and gave it up after a couple of weeks and have never felt it necessary since.
I did start just letting them out twice a day a week ago and keeping them a bit tighter on food because of bad trapping and not coming in at night. In 3 days they were all trapping as soon as I blew the whistle. Had them back on open loft today, they spent all afternoon sat on the house roof in the rain, but after cleaning out I blew the whistle and they were all straight down and in.
As others have said many different ways and views, just need to find one that suits you. This will also determine what pigeons you keep as some will do well on one system and not on another.
I do like to give them some freedom, and have a good back garden, so at weekends they often spend the afternoon out poking around. But I work during the week and I don't want them sat on neighbours houses and being a target for the hawks.

So weekdays it's fly and away.

There's as many ways as flyers. :D
Regards,

Murray
trench

June 12th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Muzza wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 9:34 pm
Andy123 wrote:
I do like to give them some freedom, and have a good back garden, so at weekends they often spend the afternoon out poking around. But I work during the week and I don't want them sat on neighbours houses and being a target for the hawks.

So weekdays it's fly and away.

There's as many ways as flyers. :D
There certainly are mate :D :lol:
I have to say I am very lucky that I don't have too many neighbour's to worry about and that my next door neighbour who's roof my birds generally choose to sit on is the son of a pigeon man so doesn't mind :D
Saul

June 22nd, 2019, 10:00 pm

Soooo... got my bottle together and bought a basket for training. I thought an aluminium one would be more substantial and last and easy to clean, £50 and when it arrived was very light and flimsy. I've seen more substantial pie trays - so back it went and I got myself a £10 cat carrier instead :-)

First time out I let them out for their morning fly about, they came back about 90 minutes later, called them in and just gave 1/3 of the morning feed, into the cat carrier and off 1 mile down the road with the wife. She said no circles just straight back to home, took about a minute, and they trapped in promptly for the rest of their food.

Second toss today I took them straight out from the coop in the morning, no feed, 3 miles on the same line. Again they headed straight for home with no circuits at the start, 5 minutes they came over but then did about 5 loops before coming in to feed.

So my question is, for these short YB training toss would you loft fly them first, then take them out of the basis they perhaps wouldn't "faff" on arrival but would get straight down for a feed?
Muzza

June 22nd, 2019, 10:46 pm

Yep, Saul, you are figuring things out ok.

If you can it is a good thing to fly the pigeons first, then take them for there training toss. It makes them keener to go in instead of circling.
Once they get up the road a bit and know the ropes you can forego the loft flying, but for the early ones it is teaching them good habits.

Good work. :D
Regards,

Murray
Andy123

June 22nd, 2019, 11:14 pm

Your doing well Saul. I would still advise you to buy a proper pigeon basket but a wooden one. I don’t exercise mine in the morning before training but that is partly due to having to get the trainer done early morning before work. I won’t feed them before they go. I don’t worry about trapping mine when they arrive home but I’m not interested in young bird or sprint racing. My aim is the extreme distance. Mine do trap quick enough when called though.
Keep up the good work and more importantly keep enjoying it.

Return to “Young Fanciers & Novices”