In up to my knees!

Carnt find the answer your looking for? Post it here, someone will be willing to help.
Saul

May 31st, 2019, 5:27 pm

So at last, have young birds :D 6 Veenstra x Poortvliet from Louella arrived a week ago ... it feels a lot longer. Not really sure how old they are, I thought that Louella said 3 weeks, all had dry feathers under the wing, some still have a few tufts of golden ?down on their heads. Spent 24 hours feeding them peas and sweet corn, coz thats what internet said, but then tried them on food and drinking and hey they feed themselves so that palaver is over and they're on Top Allround, finesse mineral grit.

I had built a coop that I thought would be like a roller kit box on legs and thought I had it sussed but a few design flaws. Used 1cm mesh for floor but the poop dont fall through :-( so Ive put in a couple of plastic grow bag trays which fit fine and hose off ok, I'd like to put something absorbent down and saw someone using hardwood pellets. Ive got some pine wood pellets but am concerned they might just eat the smaller bits, what do you think?

Birds have had a flight to fence, house roof and back to coop roof and if hungry are keen to be back. Done it couple of times a day before feeding last 2 days, just out 10-15 minutes. Conflicting advice on web about when to be letting them out, some say soon as so they not too brave and strong, some say keep in for first 6 weeks? Let them out this morning before work and they just wanted to stay on the roof...so late to work and lesson learnt!

My painstakingly made drop trap is completely useless, well where it is positioned now it is anyway. Not made a big enough landing platform, and should have arranged it so I could enclose the outside of the trap and train them through, so some more construction needed this weekend.
IMG_20190526_213425590 (1).jpg
IMG_20190531_171913761.jpg
IMG_20190531_171942702.jpg
Thanks for any advice from more seasoned folks, thats anyone :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eastyorkflyer

May 31st, 2019, 5:38 pm

Can you close it off from the weather ?? If so it will be fine but if not it's going to be a nightmare for you and what made you choose the pedigree you did ?
Saul

May 31st, 2019, 5:47 pm

Eastyorkflyer wrote:
Can you close it off from the weather ?? If so it will be fine but if not it's going to be a nightmare for you and what made you choose the pedigree you did ?
Yes its got waterproof panels that slot in, as few or as many as I need. I didn't chose the pedigree, I just asked Louella for sprint/middle birds. I'm not even sure I'll be racing at this stage, I just wanted to gain experience looking after and training the birds, and these are my first willing "volunteers".
Eastyorkflyer

May 31st, 2019, 5:51 pm

Saul wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 5:47 pm
Eastyorkflyer wrote:
Yes its got waterproof panels that slot in, as few or as many as I need. I didn't chose the pedigree, I just asked Louella for sprint/middle birds. I'm not even sure I'll be racing at this stage, I just wanted to gain experience looking after and training the birds, and these are my first willing "volunteers".
It will be fine then mate 👍 for the bottom I would stick with the mesh as they walk on it they will force any dried crap to fall through it more hygienic then the trays or floor covering materials mate 👌 everything else is straight forward pigeons love routine stick to the same times for feeding and exercise and you can't go far wrong mate
ChrisRoscoe
Site Admin

May 31st, 2019, 6:11 pm

a routine that works around you and stick to that, maybe feed a racing pigeon mix like gerry plus or a widowhood corn, fresh water daily as for training i would wait untill they start ranging and flying for almost an hour before taken them down the road, the internet is always going to give you a 1000s views but you got to remmber you and your birds are differnt to everyone else so what works for them might not work for you
Name: Chris Roscoe
Club: Rushden and Raunds South Road Flying Club
Fed: Mid Northants South Road
Andy123

May 31st, 2019, 10:10 pm

Looks fine Saul. You done the right thing getting them out early. They have already learnt the hardest bit, where they live. Certainly no rush to train them. Are you planning on breeding from them next year. The one thing I would say though is that they won’t want to all sit together in a very short while. If planning on breeding you will need to put in some nest boxes ready for next year, but until then I would put in some individual perches for them.
Good to hear you’ve made a start though.
Muzza

May 31st, 2019, 11:58 pm

That's a good start!

Well done.

Just one thought, the clear lite roof might make your box very hot on a sunny day and very cold on a frosty night.
Regards,

Murray
Potter29

June 1st, 2019, 6:49 am

Nice start mate atb with it , but as above ide be thinking of changing that roof on the hut itself or atleast some of it so they can get out of the heat as it will get very warm in there , leaving it on the avairy tho , 👍🏻Good luck
trench

June 1st, 2019, 8:02 am

Nice one Saul, well done. A nice open and airy loft, great for starting off with while you find you're feet and decide exactly where you want to go with you're birds. Just enjoy having them and keep it simple.
Whether you decide to race or not there is plenty of info on this site for you so read as much as you can and ask plenty of questions, you will get plenty of conflicting opinions but in the end it comes down to what works for you and you're birds.
As Andy says you will need some individual perches for them, as you have limited space I would make these box perches large enough so they can take a nesting bowl if and when required. I don't use anything on the floor just scrape out daily but would happily use any wood chip/shavings bedding material, just not sawdust. As for the roof I do agree with what others have said about it getting too hot but to save you time and money changing it you can always get some glass house white wash and paint part of it or all of it, all the time the weather is nice and you can keep the covers off it should be fine, especially while you only have a few birds.
Nice looking youngsters, I like the blue checker 3rd in from the right. You were spot on getting the birds out nice and quickly, so pleased they all came back in ok for you.
Good luck mate and remember to enjoy having them, if it's no fun then you may as well not bother.
All the best
Saul

June 2nd, 2019, 3:24 pm

Been out in the garage making a couple of mods today (I can see this might get addictive!)
IMG_20190602_143007308.jpg
<P>
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uYwcYRCLQUHThFjk9

Seems to work OK :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Young Fanciers & Novices”