Counting chicks before

Carnt find the answer your looking for? Post it here, someone will be willing to help.
Donski

November 20th, 2018, 11:07 am

Called Mrs Marsh today so starter pack should be on its way with a loft number yay :) "computer problems" were holding things up.. .. hopefully I'll join a club once I get the number and secretary details of my local clubs. Another question.. how do you register your loft co-ordinates?

I saw the application form for the RPRA one loft race.. hmm wondering if putting in an application might be a bit premature.. I have now 3 pairs of 2018 bred birds that are currently paired up in individual pens whilst I finish the stock loft. I am hoping they will keep their current mates as the pedigrees read well for each pair. Not sure if or when they will start to produce, they are not really getting jiggy with it so far but seem very content together. Looking at the application form, the birds have to be a certain age for the race. I guess its all about timing... any tips on planning for one loft entry dates?

One step further..
cheers
Don
Snowfields Loft
(in the making) :D
devo56

November 20th, 2018, 11:31 am

Donski wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 11:07 am
Called Mrs Marsh today so starter pack should be on its way with a loft number yay :) "computer problems" were holding things up.. .. hopefully I'll join a club once I get the number and secretary details of my local clubs. Another question.. how do you register your loft co-ordinates?

I saw the application form for the RPRA one loft race.. hmm wondering if putting in an application might be a bit premature.. I have now 3 pairs of 2018 bred birds that are currently paired up in individual pens whilst I finish the stock loft. I am hoping they will keep their current mates as the pedigrees read well for each pair. Not sure if or when they will start to produce, they are not really getting jiggy with it so far but seem very content together. Looking at the application form, the birds have to be a certain age for the race. I guess its all about timing... any tips on planning for one loft entry dates?

One step further..
cheers
Don
It depends where you are sending to Olr, if its the RPRA one i would make sure the youngsters are around 32 to 35 days old. they should have their jab 10 days before they enter the loft. So planning for Olr is very important. Olr races differ so its selecting the right birds for different loft races. find out the date birds can start entering the Olr, then put your plan together, Pairing up, sitting eggs, rearing youngsters. works out around 61 days.
Donski

November 20th, 2018, 2:14 pm

I'll have to do the maths.... not sure how you would delay the pair to get them to lay at the right time.. I suppose you would keep them separate and pair a day or two before the right day ?

Vaccinations I still am a little worried about.. not giving them, I see you can buy it online and I am happy to vaccinate as I do my rabbits every year... just the bit where it has to be witnessed ? I think I read somewhere that you vaccinate the chicks at 4 weeks and then again a few days/ weeks later? would you need someone to witness both jabs?
Don
Snowfields Loft
CDBL

November 20th, 2018, 4:18 pm

The one thing I would say. RPRA usually fills up by January / February. Last year they had to close waiting list even I believe. You don't need to know the ring numbers of birds you will send. Just the number of birds you send. Then as you've probably read. 60 deposit and 50 when you send.
Not so retired racer, part time webmaster and part time distiller
devo56

November 20th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Donski wrote:
I'll have to do the maths.... not sure how you would delay the pair to get them to lay at the right time.. I suppose you would keep them separate and pair a day or two before the right day ?

Vaccinations I still am a little worried about.. not giving them, I see you can buy it online and I am happy to vaccinate as I do my rabbits every year... just the bit where it has to be witnessed ? I think I read somewhere that you vaccinate the chicks at 4 weeks and then again a few days/ weeks later? would you need someone to witness both jabs?
Don
If you know the dates you are sending to any olr, You just have to give the first 10 days of your plan for pairing up and laying, then the 19 days before hatching. If all goes well, then the 32 to 35 days for them to be ready for you to send. So if you work around the 61 day plan you wont be far out.This would change if you floated the first round of eggs off the pair, and then allowed them to go back down.
Andy123

November 20th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Donski wrote:

Don
No real need to worry about the vaccination at the moment. Once you have made contact with a club I’m sure there will be other members willing to help you with it. Some people do jab them twice but I only do mine once. There is no set time when to do them. I will do my old birds in January before pairing up and the youngsters will probably done around end of April.
trench

November 20th, 2018, 6:50 pm

Donski wrote:

Don
Hi mate, good to see things are coming together for you. One loft racing is a good way of testing you're birds especially if you aren't yet ready to race them yourself, the only thing I would say is it is expensive when you don't really know how good you're stock is.
Devo and cbdl are the guys to help you with advice on olr's as they have entered a few.
As for getting the youngsters ready in the time I would just let them go down on eggs once you have you're rings, get yourself some plastic eggs then you can either choose to keep the eggs or throw them away and let them sit the plastic eggs until you are ready to start breeding. You can take the plastic eggs away at any time and they should go down again within about 7 to 10 days.
As for your loft location/distances you're club Secretary will sort that out for you once you have joined a club.
All the best.
Donski

November 20th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Thanks all... sorry for all the daft questions but great to have you there on the inter web for help and advice :)
Feel a lot better today, making progress... got me birds.. got me rings ordered.. got me loft number... now to finish the lofts and away we go :) wahoooo
Don
Snowfields Loft
trench

November 20th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Donski wrote:
Thanks all... sorry for all the daft questions but great to have you there on the inter web for help and advice :)
Feel a lot better today, making progress... got me birds.. got me rings ordered.. got me loft number... now to finish the lofts and away we go :) wahoooo
Don
No questions are daft Donski, we were all novices once. It's a pleasure to be able to help mate, glad you are getting things sorted. Good luck with finishing the loft, hope it all goes to plan, be good to see some pictures when it's finished. Won't be long and it will be full of youngsters.
All the best.
buster121

November 20th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Donski wrote:
Don
Good to see things happening for you, as Trench says no question is a daft one, ask away and keep asking as not only is it of help to the asker but a lot of others as well

Return to “Young Fanciers & Novices”