young birds training

Carnt find the answer your looking for? Post it here, someone will be willing to help.
Andy123

July 5th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Good to hear they came ok Potter, well done.
trench

July 5th, 2017, 9:37 pm

chrisperry wrote:
July 5th, 2017, 8:40 am
having trouble with the birds not roaming, so changed there feed ,barley in the morning and young bird mix no maize in the evening.
well seemed to fly longer but not disappeared so on Friday I said sod it put them in the basket and took them 3 mile down the road, morning and night
took around 20 minutes but all back,
started again at same place yesterday and they came straight away,
took them back this morning around 6.30 , I came home put the kettle on and it had not even boiled and they was back,
see what they do tonight.
in all I have 18 older young birds that I am training and 13 what I call younger young birds which I think are not ready for the basket so was thinking train them separate and keep them back for the later comeback races , feathers permiting, that way I can have a bash at my first year racing and still have birds for next year.
I am thinking correctly or on the way to a disaster ???
Mine still aren't flying off around home much matey, can't say I am too concerned. I have a few that disappear on their own and one that's gone all day, but just because the birds disappear for hours doesn't necessarily mean they have gone far, they could be sat in a field over the back or a roof top a few blocks down.
Sounds to me like you are doing ok fella. I have 9 youngsters old enough to race that have had their third trainer tonight, this was from 14 miles and a third different location. They aren't setting the world alight time wise but they are coming and learning. These will be raced but to be honest I am not worried how far they go or how many races they have as long as they get some experience, I want them for next year. As Andy said, as long as they don't have big gaps in the wing, half the tail missing or are bald around the head or neck they should be fine. I too have always remembered Dad's motto "if in doubt leave them out", it is easy to get so desperate to race and get results that you throw away potentially good birds.
Many successful fanciers over the years don't race youngsters at all.
I have 6 later bred youngsters (hatched in May) these I will train but won't race. Once you have a well established team you can take a few more chances but when you are just starting out I would be a little more cautious.
Keep doing what you are doing mate, they will be ok.

Atvb
trench

July 5th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Potter29 wrote:
July 5th, 2017, 9:16 pm
Ye went sound trench thanks all bk as expected as its ther 3 toss from that point so will be moving on now , and as for moly coddlin them i agrea , but visibility is what the guy was on about with the cloud n hazyness , but oviusly made no difrence to mine , happy days atb
Well done mate glad they all made it back ok, good luck with moving them on.
I wouldn't have thought cloud or a bit of hazyness constitutes poor visibility, but as we have said before we all have our own views and methods. Who is to say what is right or wrong, if it works for you stick to it. I have raced pigeons since I was a boy but coming back into it after a short break I feel like a complete novice. The sport keeps changing and we have to keep learning.

Atvb fella.
PVDMR

July 5th, 2017, 10:12 pm

Was told once by a very Good old flyer...if the moon is visible during the day,Don't train ( old wife's tale perhaps? )
Any of you lot heard of this phenomenon?
You can buy The Mans Winning pigeons
BUT not the Man that flys them!!
trench

July 5th, 2017, 10:27 pm

PVDMR wrote:
July 5th, 2017, 10:12 pm
Was told once by a very Good old flyer...if the moon is visible during the day,Don't train ( old wife's tale perhaps? )
Any of you lot heard of this phenomenon?
Never heard that one mate and couldn't say wether there is anything in it or not.

Return to “Young Fanciers & Novices”