List of requirements to succeed.

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Muzza

January 14th, 2020, 7:56 am

On another thread, the idea came up that feeding good feed is good, if you are feeding it to good pigeons.

I had a think, :shock: , LOL! and wondered what people think most important in succeeding in the sport.

It's my idea, so I shall begin. :lol:

1/ Get the very best loft you can.

If you look at reviews of the most successful pigeon racers, they have very good lofts. You do not see a top flyer holding a pigeon which has won it's 97th Fed prize, standing in front of a shed built of roofing felt and chicken wire.

My loft is quite small. I had a budget, and spent as much money building the best small loft that I could, as I would have on a bigger, less satisfactory loft.

Pigeon health is a direct result of the conditions they are kept in. If you have to keep treating your pigeons for a recurring illness, I would be looking at the loft.

2/ The pigeons.

I suggest that you make a choice of the type of pigeon you want to race, do a bit of research, and obtain some stock. If you are sensible, it is difficult to get rubbish pigeons these days.

Then, give them a chance to become a family in your loft.

It may take a couple of generations and a cross or two to build a family that succeeds on your methods.

Don't be another one who every two or three years, cleans out the whole loft and starts again. With the same result.

Some people cannot train a pigeon to save themselves.

3/ Feeding.

You cannot ever change the water or clean your drinkers too often. Sickness is passed through the water more than any other way.

The grain is only part of the diet. A good mineral grit is very important to the health of the pigeons. So is access to fresh green stuff.

There appears to be at least one custom made brilliant new discovery in pigeon nutrition, every week. Considering the fanciers of old fed beans, and won, it is all rubbish.

Feed a balanced diet that suits your pigeons. If they fly well on it, it cant be far wrong.

Brand A is very likely just as good as brand B.
Regards,

Murray
jmccall

January 14th, 2020, 8:14 am

good question with 2 different answers sprinting and distance

Distance the most important thing is the pigeons as winning is more pigeon than fancier
Sprinting most important is routine as the system is more important than the pigeons
Most sprint men win year in year out with the latest fad or strain distance family’s have been around years so this proves point 1

Second would be environment and health must be dry and draught free doesn’t need to look the bollox my last loft was a Wendy house and garden she’d joined together and I still won the same

Third feeding regardless of brand or grain you need to know the fuel you putting in protein carbs fats etc for what your aim is
If your driving 100 miles not going to put £5 in car as you won’t get there the same applies with a racing car you don’t fill the tank to race 1 lap as you will get beat on the weight disadvantage

Fourth motivation if you have all of the above and pigeons don’t want to return it makes no difference I had peragrine issues last year for 6 weeks solid pigeons were terrified come race day miles behind once peragrine sorted and confidence back back to top of sheet again

Last but not least a good health program this is a keen eye and observation not just medication but been able to spot the smallest issue before putting them in a basket and generally keeping up with pigeons that are mixed with others week in week out that may not be 100% healthy

Nail all that lot and your not far away 😂😂😂
Magic

January 14th, 2020, 9:33 am

Two very good posts.
Children with autism are colourful - they are very beautiful and like the rainbow they stand out.
rainbow

January 14th, 2020, 11:03 am

on the issue of clean water and health every dog or cat we had would go outside and drink the dirty water last cat to go was 22 years old can't remember every taking them to the vet for being sick only at the end with old age now my son always has 2 dogs and forever going to the vet
buster121

January 14th, 2020, 11:14 am

Agree with both Muzza and Jmccall's posts, except the line in Muzzas as to birds not racing to ramshackle lofts, if I can find the write ups on some folks lofts I will post but there are several over here who have won and still do without a top notch lofts, one even to small crates I know there is always exceptions but the point I am making or trying to make is you do not need dogs boll#### lofts to win, it is good birds with a love of home more than anything, well that's my twopenneth :lol: :lol: :lol: for what it's worth
End of day they are not bothered whether it is gold lined or not what they want is safe, secure, warm and dry and somewhere to rest there wearily little beaks :D :D
Potter29

January 14th, 2020, 5:24 pm

I agrea buster no of a few good old boys whos lofts are the same they started with many years ago n still win to them even tho there half falling down etc
trench

January 14th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Good post Murray and some interesting points and views 👍
Have to agree with other comments about the quality of loft, here is a video I have posted before. I was lucky enough to have been given a number of birds from Des before he sadly packed them in just over a year ago, I just hope I can do them justice.
https://youtu.be/ETd2h2O6aVc
I think the most important thing is that the loft is dry and safe, its the love of home that drives most distance pigeons on.
I agree that sourcing birds to suit our requirements and methods is important, then we need patience to build a team and don't keep chopping and changing things.
I also agree with rainbow and think sometimes we can keep the birds too clean especially the water, I agree it shouldn't be filthy or stagnant but the birds need to build up immunity especially when flying long distances as they could be in baskets for several days eating food from dirty floors and drinking the same water as hundreds of other birds. On top of that they will have to drink from any water source they can find on the route home, I only change the water weekly and rarely clean the water bowls, my birds being on often loft will often drink from the bird bath or even the gutters.
Good quality food is more important than the content although as John said they do need the right fuel for the job. I am a great believer that all animals will eat what they need but the problem our birds have is that they have no idea how far we are going to make them fly so we have to do that bit for them and supply what they need. If the birds are only let out to exercise then grit and minerals are essential, I don't think this is as important if the birds are on open loft as the birds will go and find what they need. Having said that I do give mine grit and minerals as well as crushed cuttle fish straight from the beach.
I also agree with John that observation is our biggest tool, as long as we know our birds they and the loft will soon tell us if something is wrong.
Last edited by trench on January 14th, 2020, 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
killer

January 14th, 2020, 6:43 pm

We all need a good Wife & lots of luck ,with out good healthy pigeon cut from the right cloth we are only making up the numbers & keeping our Club Mates richer ,lol ,the most Popular guys in the Club are usley the worst Fanciers ,if you look like taking money off them well enough said , cheers
trench

January 14th, 2020, 6:50 pm

killer wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 6:43 pm
We all need a good Wife & lots of luck ,with out good healthy pigeon cut from the right cloth we are only making up the numbers & keeping our Club Mates richer ,lol ,the most Popular guys in the Club are usley the worst Fanciers ,if you look like taking money off them well enough said , cheers
Can't argue with that mate, especially the wife bit 🤠👍🤣🤣
Muzza

January 14th, 2020, 7:30 pm

buster121 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 11:14 am
Agree with both Muzza and Jmccall's posts, except the line in Muzzas as to birds not racing to ramshackle lofts, if I can find the write ups on some folks lofts I will post but there are several over here who have won and still do without a top notch lofts, one even to small crates I know there is always exceptions but the point I am making or trying to make is you do not need dogs boll#### lofts to win, it is good birds with a love of home more than anything, well that's my twopenneth :lol: :lol: :lol: for what it's worth
End of day they are not bothered whether it is gold lined or not what they want is safe, secure, warm and dry and somewhere to rest there wearily little beaks :D :D
Good, lively conversation. :D

I agree that a pigeon doesn't much care what his loft looks like, so long as it is healthy.

Some blokes are constantly going to the medicine cupboard, which makes you wonder what's going on in their loft?
Regards,

Murray

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”