Motivation

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
devo56

October 7th, 2019, 11:05 am

Muzza wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 8:45 am
I am wondering why this thread is not getting a lot of attention and feed back.

Is everyone too canny to share their secrets? ;) :lol:
To be honest with you Murray, I think the wind direction plays a big part on our racing. also location I do know of flyers moving to a new home for a better location to fly and win with their birds.
Andy123

October 7th, 2019, 9:07 pm

I know it happens but how desperate they must be to win to move house just to be in a better location. Doesn’t make them better fanciers or mean their birds are any better. That’s why looking to buy pigeons, not that I do, the loft location and their results have to be taken into account. I would much prefer to get pigeons against the odds. My loft location is going to make our Barcelona challenge harder as most races the wind won’t be in our favour over this side of the country, also we’re against the drag. But there are some very good results achieved over here and even better if we get them. I do think the wind direction and loft location makes much more difference from shorter races.
Muzza

October 8th, 2019, 8:07 am

devo56 wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 11:05 am
Muzza wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 8:45 am
I am wondering why this thread is not getting a lot of attention and feed back.

Is everyone too canny to share their secrets? ;) :lol:
To be honest with you Murray, I think the wind direction plays a big part on our racing. also location I do know of flyers moving to a new home for a better location to fly and win with their birds.
It certainly does.

Back in the days when the sport was huge, and clubs had a radius of just a couple of miles, it was not as much of an issue. Where I live now, it is about a 30 mile radius! :o With 15 flyers!

Every race is won or lost on the wind direction.
Regards,

Murray
Andy123

October 8th, 2019, 9:23 am

Our racing will nearly always be determined by the wind direction. Flying only Nationals and Classics we are racing against most of the country, although we can compare ours better against the sections. South West or West sections. We will only be well up in the open if the wind is in our favour. Although all our races are over the channel and nearly all over 200 miles so does give them a chance to sort themselves out.
stevekulpa

October 8th, 2019, 7:47 pm

This is my opinion only Muzza but your comment about widowhood being the best way to fly I don't agree with. I have two hens in the stock loft both were retired last year with 4 fed wins each and they beat our cocks in those races, Fanciers who Know us know that our hens are as good as the cocks. If you get all what Dev put in his post right then cock or hen will not matter.
Where do our hens get there motivation from ? it must be the love of home and knowing nothing else but to race home as fast as they can, We also have hens that will out trap the cocks every time when they come together. One thing you may not know is our hens are never paired up ,the first time they pair to a cock is when they retire.
As for form this year our inland birds raced from mid April through to mid September winning right through, some had only 1 week off that was the weeks break mid season so some would have had 21 races, but these would be our inland sprint birds racing up to 140miles, but even so you have to manage them if they need a week off they will tell you if your observant enough. Not all raced right through as when they go in to heavy moult we stop them so the numbers we send reduce weekly
Also There are no secrets here just dedication and hard work.
Some stats for you to ponder over with This year results.

20 1st clubs 10 with cock birds 11 with hens
7 1st feds 4 with cocks 3 with hens, But 3 of these 1st fed's belong to our champion cock 193 who now has Ten 1st feds
so you can see by these at our lofts the sex of the bird dose not matter if the system is right.

Steve
Last edited by stevekulpa on October 8th, 2019, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryngwynt

October 8th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Great read Steve and great performances also.
2017/18/19 Results
1st x 42
2nd x 40
3rd x 29
4th x 30
5th x 28
buster121

October 8th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Great achievements there Steve well done
devo56

October 8th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Great results Steve and the team, you only get out what you put in. Great results mate.
Andy123

October 8th, 2019, 10:55 pm

Great results Steve and a good account of your season and systems.
This is what I thought your results were like Steve. Your youngsters started a bit behind your old birds but were arriving in front or with them in the end, which brings me back to my original post. What is the motivation for making them home quicker? As your results with both your hens and your young birds shows it’s not the nest or mate that motivates them, it is their love for home that makes them want to return. I can relate this a bit to the strays I get in. It doesn’t seem to matter what I do with them they just won’t go. Their love for their previous home couldn’t have been that great otherwise they wouldn’t stay so easily.
I still believe this love for home is even more important when it comes to the extreme distance, as after a few days in the basket and many miles to fly home most other motivations would have gone, it is just wanting to get back to the loft that drives them on.
stevekulpa

October 9th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Thanks everyone , yes Andy I agree after a few days in the basket the urge must be just to get home

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”