New Starters needed,

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Starter46

September 30th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Your right with the allotments Chris where I live there is at least 40 allotment sites and only 3 allowed pigeons and poultry. And the waiting list is unreal a plot can stand empty for at least 12months
Muzza

October 1st, 2019, 9:04 am

This is an ongoing problem everywhere.

I have said this before, the solution to falling numbers of fanciers flying is to address the reasons why so many are leaving the sport.

Increasing costs, diminishing rewards, and changing lifestyles. These are some of the issues that need to be addressed.

Being busy recruiting new flyers, while flyers with many years of experience get sick of it and give up, is not, in my opinion, the answer.
Regards,

Murray
Magic

October 2nd, 2019, 6:35 pm

About 15 yrars agoour club introduced 3 Divisions on a league basis with 2 up 2 down.
Each Division comtained 10 members and it did generate a bit of banter with football style chants filling the hall on Saturday nights.
The 3 new starters, all in Dvision 3 left the sport after that first year even though 2 had gained promotion. One of the long time serving members gained promotion tp Division 1 as Runner Up, his first ever trophy and who is still with us to this day.
The following year a proposal for each Division to compete for their own Pool money was soundly defeated with the vast majority of Division 1 voting against it ably supported by the Sheeple in the lower divisions who thought it better to vote with the elites.
After a few years the League was scrapped.
17of us started to keep pigeons in 1960, only two of us went on to race and the other fella only stuck it for a few years.
We now have just under 20 members all of whom have been in pigeons as long as I have or longer. It is rumoured that 3 of them are leaving this year. We are losing two to other clubs and one a 3rd generation (and last) stalworth of the sport is quiting altogether due to age as he is now in his 80's.
I don't know what the solution is but I don't think the ETS has helped.
Just My Opinion.

You can never lose a homing pigeon - if it doesn't come back, all you have lost is a pigeon.
Andy123

October 2nd, 2019, 8:52 pm

I think one of the biggest problems now is the loss of the social side. When we were younger lol we would go down to the club on a marking night, In fact myself and another member as we were the clock setters and had between 30 & 40 clocks to set would go down the club mid week and set the clocks ready for the weekend. On marking night we would get the birds marked from about 6pm. Clocks were struck off around 7.30pm and the transporter would turn up and be loaded. Several members, me included, would then go into the pub until closing time. The same would happen after reading off the clocks after the race.
Nowadays this side of the sport has on the whole gone. Most clubs then would have their headquarters at pubs. Now club membership is small, pubs either don’t want the clubs or clubs can’t afford the rent. At Frome we have 9 members and our headquarters rent costs us £250 per year. That works out at £28 per member on the subs before anything else.
I don’t think ETS has helped as many members just put their birds through and leave, no need to stay and wait for clocks. At least at the markings for the Nationals and Classics there is a lot more conversation between members while waiting to have the birds marked.
The other thing that amazes me is how many clubs seem to read their clocks off during the afternoon of the race rather than waiting until the evening. This can’t be good for the sport or the social side, how can you know how a race has really been for returns half way through the day. How can new members learn when there is no advice or conversation from other members, that’s how we learnt.

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”