New Starters needed,

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
devo56

September 30th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Over the past couple of months I have seen a good few people packing the sport in. I think there needs to be some help by the RPRA for young people wanting to enter the sport. A couple of things they could look at is 50% deduction in fee for membership, and 20 free rings, this would be a start what are the thoughts of other members?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buster121

September 30th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Richard Chambers works for the RPRA Dev he goes round schools etc
devo56

September 30th, 2019, 6:13 pm

buster121 wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 5:51 pm
Richard Chambers works for the RPRA Dev he goes round schools etc
Right mate, i have seen a few schools involved in olr mate.
ChrisRoscoe
Site Admin

September 30th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Think there needs to be allotments that will actually allow pigeons on tbh
Name: Chris Roscoe
Club: Rushden and Raunds South Road Flying Club
Fed: Mid Northants South Road
trench

September 30th, 2019, 8:03 pm

ChrisRoscoe wrote:
I agree mate and sadly these days with new housing having little or no gardens and the majority of young people only being able to afford to rent property it is only going to get harder and harder for youngsters to get into the sport.
We have a young lad in our club that is autistic, he lives with his parents and the pigeons are a big help to him but sadly he gets such grieve and abuse from their neighbours it has become almost impossible for him to keep them let alone race them.
I agree with Devo that making rings and subscriptions cheaper would help but sadly with the cost of feed etc these days they are only a very small portion of the cost.
Andy123

September 30th, 2019, 8:27 pm

I agree that new and younger fanciers need to be found but how and where from is the difficult thing.
You have a point there Chris with allotments. Years ago many allotments had pigeon lofts on them. The problem is a lot of allotments have been built on and new houses have very small gardens.
Also there are so many other things that youngsters want to do now.
The other big problem I think nowadays is people’s attitude towards a throw away society. This includes animals. I hear almost every week someone saying can we take in or do we know of anyone who wants a rabbit, guinea pig, fish, reptiles and even sometimes cats or dogs as they aren’t wanted anymore. Usually the same story, we brought them for the kids but they’ve lost interest in them. So we need people to come into the sport that are going to look after the birds properly and stay in the sport.
The other problem down here is the shortage of local clubs. There are very few clubs and well apart. I only have a choice of 2 or 3 if I wanted to do club racing and all at least 45 minutes away from me. Actually the nearest club to me I couldn’t get in because it is in Dorset and fly with the Dorset fed that don’t allow members who live outside of Dorset. I live in Somerset but within a couple of miles of the Dorset and Wiltshire border.
buster121

September 30th, 2019, 8:45 pm

ChrisRoscoe wrote:
Agree in principal mate but look at all the trouble on the ones in the North East fires etc
Bryngwynt

September 30th, 2019, 9:30 pm

I also think-they need some support with a loft, as this costs especially to a youngster.Also some of the studs supporting the new starters with birds, which are closer to the tree.So stand a better chance of getting some success.I try and do my bit helping new starters, get going as much as I can.
2017/18/19 Results
1st x 42
2nd x 40
3rd x 29
4th x 30
5th x 28
trench

September 30th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Bryngwynt wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 9:30 pm
I also think-they need some support with a loft, as this costs especially to a youngster.Also some of the studs supporting the new starters with birds, which are closer to the tree.So stand a better chance of getting some success.I try and do my bit helping new starters, get going as much as I can.
And from what I see on here mate you do Stirling job too 👍
ChrisRoscoe
Site Admin

September 30th, 2019, 10:15 pm

There’s 6 allotments around me and not one allows pigeons and 4 allow chickens go figure that ey
Name: Chris Roscoe
Club: Rushden and Raunds South Road Flying Club
Fed: Mid Northants South Road

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”