They grow so quickly!

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
trench

October 12th, 2019, 9:24 am

Muzza wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 2:45 am
Gave them their vegies just now.

The babies like their vegies, and they are better for them than sweets. :D :lol:
Certainly looks a nice little treat for them mate, what veggies are in it ??
Years ago I used to give mine beetroot blended up with wholemeal bread, they went mad for it. I have tried it a couple of times since starting up again and they weren't interested.
Muzza

October 14th, 2019, 10:38 am

There is a slightly different chapter to this story.

When Jack, my old Van Loon cock got sick of his mate of many years, Sydney Sid, the stray, moved in and they raised a pair of lovely babies.

Happy story. :D :D Except...

Jack is a slatey blue bar Pure Van Loon,

Sydney Sid is a dark chequer pied stay from Sydney. That's a 500 mile fly, more or less. She was hit by a falcon on liberation and arrived here mostly dead.

They raised a pair. The cock is a blue bar, the hen is a dark chequer. That's lovely. Except, now they are starting to fly, I noticed that the cock is big and strong, and the hen is going backwards. So I just took a quiet look today, and was surprised to see the blue youngster chasing the hen away from the feed.

That got me thinking.

For about a decade, the original pigeons I got when I started in Australia have bred and been crossed in and out and in again. They are very much of a family without being very inbred. They are all very smart and positive. Outgoing even. :D

Sydney Sid is a lovely pigeon, but is quiet and submissive. She has lived in the loft for years, pretty much without being noticed. She is there every day, never causes any trouble.

I wonder if that is the trouble. I have been determined to create a strain, which I have done. They are all very similar physically and they are of the same temperament. Putting a hen of a totally different strain into the breed has created two nest mates which cannot stand each other.

It kind of confirms what I have long believed. New pigeons should be from an unrelated branch of the same strain. Otherwise you are just breeding unrelated pigeons, which might not be of the same temperament at all.

I had to throw the cock baby out onto a perch and put a scoop of feed on the nest box for the wee dark hen. She is lovely, but like her mother, is very quiet.

They were 'surprise babies', so they were a lottery. Like a lottery, you are not likely to win.
Regards,

Murray
Muzza

October 14th, 2019, 10:46 am

trench wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 9:24 am
Muzza wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 2:45 am
Gave them their vegies just now.

The babies like their vegies, and they are better for them than sweets. :D :lol:
Certainly looks a nice little treat for them mate, what veggies are in it ??
Years ago I used to give mine beetroot blended up with wholemeal bread, they went mad for it. I have tried it a couple of times since starting up again and they weren't interested.
They get whatever is in the fridge.

I think that was celery tops, cress, carrot, pumpkin and pea sprouts.

Actually smelt good enough to eat! :lol:
Regards,

Murray

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”