They grow so quickly!

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Muzza

September 25th, 2019, 9:56 am

Andy123 wrote: ↑
September 25th, 2019, 9:41 am
Looking nice Murray. Obviously a bit wary.
Thanks for that, Andy, but no, they don't look nice at all.

The one near the camera is the one that spent the night out. He looks awful. His sister is better, but still looks a bit ordinary. It seems she was stressed by him being missing?
Regards,

Murray
trench

September 25th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Muzza wrote: ↑

The one near the camera is the one that spent the night out. He looks awful. His sister is better, but still looks a bit ordinary. It seems she was stressed by him being missing?
You obviously have very high standards Murray as they both look pretty good to me too, they do look well synchronised πŸ˜€πŸ‘
Andy123

September 25th, 2019, 9:13 pm

It’s surprising how you grow to like them if they do well. :lol:
I remember a pair of blue hens I bred in 1989. They were sisters but not nestmates. They were both very small and nothing much to look at. They both went on to be winners and won a few races between them.
Muzza

September 26th, 2019, 9:42 am

I remember a pair of blue hens I bred in 1989. They were sisters but not nestmates. They were both very small and nothing much to look at. They both went on to be winners and won a few races between them.
Yep, Andy, the best pigeon I ever had was an ordinary looking young bird, and he was a dark chequer. Many years ago I only wanted blue bars and mealies. Crazy, I know.

That pigeon won them on end as a yearling.

I have grown up a bit, and the colour they are is always perfect!
Regards,

Murray
trench

September 26th, 2019, 8:25 pm

September 26th, 2019, 9:42 am

Yep, Andy, the best pigeon I ever had was an ordinary looking young bird, and he was a dark chequer. Many years ago I only wanted blue bars and mealies. Crazy, I know.

That pigeon won them on end as a yearling.

I have grown up a bit, and the colour they are is always perfect!
One of my best hens was also nothing to look at and didn't handle much better either.
In fact after her youngbird season many fanciers would have taken her off her perch having not made it home in race time, if she was given another chance as a yearling she almost certainly would not have made it to a two year old but I kept finding space for her and finally as a three year old she repaid me by taking 4th club Berwick 348mls, 2nd bird Stonehaven (only 2 birds in club on the day) and 1st club Banff 495mls all in the space of 5 weeks.
Sometimes looks don't matter and a little patience is required πŸ‘πŸ˜€
Muzza

September 27th, 2019, 9:30 am

Yea, we keep saying that looks don't matter, but being honest, I will give preference to a good looking pigeon that wins a race over a poor type of pigeon that wins a race.

It's common sense.

In the last 100 years the racing pigeon has been improved by an unbelievable amount.

Two things have always been in the minds of the great strain makers.

1/ Performance. The pigeon keeps appearing on the result sheet.

2/ Conformation. The pigeon is correct.
Regards,

Murray
Muzza

September 27th, 2019, 9:52 am

It reminds me of an old mate I had, who used to give his young birds heaps! :( :shock: He used to tell me that he wanted to 'test' them.

Well, I always thought, and still do, that that is complete nonsense.

What I want do is win races while giving the pigeons the least stress possible, so they can win again!

I avoid races where the outcome will probably be bad. That does not make your team better, it just makes it smaller. :lol:
Regards,

Murray
trench

September 27th, 2019, 7:45 pm

I do agree Murray, we all want a loft of nice looking birds that sit well in the hand and if our breeding is working then most of our birds will conform to type especially in a small team loft. As I said earlier in this thread this year is a prime example as out of 20 youngsters I started training I have 11 left. I had a variety of Grizzles, pieds. Chequers and blues, the remaining birds are 10 blues and 1 light Chequer. These 11 birds had nearly every race and 9 of them had top 4 finshes in at least 1 race.
As we have all said there are many different views and opinions on achieving success in pigeon racing and I have heard others say that youngsters need to be pushed hard and I have no doubt this does achieve results but how many of our beloved birds have to get lost along the way. Although I do like to give my youngsters plenty of races the distances are relatively short and I won't just send a bird for the sake of it, I will only send birds that I truly believe can make the journey. If I don't think a bird is up to the task I would rather let have a life of riley than send it just to lose it.
Muzza

October 5th, 2019, 11:05 am

Anyway, the thread started because I have an old Sydney Stray who paired up with my Old Van Loon cock.

The babies are quite good, and very inquisitive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Murray
Muzza

October 5th, 2019, 11:06 am

:lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Murray

Return to β€œChat Racing Pigeon”