*****Distance Stock Cock *****

Talk about anything that is not relevant to the boards below.
Andy123

February 16th, 2018, 10:28 pm

I am inclined to agree with George. This cock hasn’t raced and nor were the parents although the grandparents done well. Although it says that the owner has sons and daughters off this bird in his race team and stock loft I would want to know what they had done. I also like Grizzles and have a few in my loft.
trench

February 16th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Andy123 wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 10:28 pm
I am inclined to agree with George. This cock hasn’t raced and nor were the parents although the grandparents done well. Although it says that the owner has sons and daughters off this bird in his race team and stock loft I would want to know what they had done. I also like Grizzles and have a few in my loft.
I too would normally agree with that Andy and think we would do much better buying birds from lofts and birds that are still winning today or local fanciers that we know are competing at a good level. But having said that how many fanciers are still buying ( and winning ) with birds that have been bred for stock from birds bred down off champions that have been dead for years. All these current big name lofts are selling birds for silly money on pedigrees that go back so far they mean nothing. All we can look at is that birds bred from these lines are still winning for fanciers today. All the big studs are selling youngsters from un raced descendents of champions but people are still winning with them. JMO
trench

February 16th, 2018, 11:20 pm

It's all a game of chance, the best racers won't necessarily be top stock birds and yet your worst racer could turn out to be your best stock bird. We have all kept birds for stock from our top pigeons over the years, it's all about patience and good husbandry and knowing you're birds. We all have to start somewhere the rest is down to the fancier, you can easily lose good blood but you can also improve bad blood.
All the best.
PVDMR

February 16th, 2018, 11:22 pm

JOHN SMALE OF ABERGAVENNY Racing Pigeons ( Elimar )
Look him up on the the net,I can't copy it.
Pity!

Did find another bit on him

Writes about winning fanciers past and present

JOHN SMALE

OF ABERGAVENNY

On a video tour of South Wales we visited several Welsh National winning lofts including John Smale of Abergavenny and this fancier’s racing record must be described as fantastic, winning 1st. open Welsh Grand National Thurs (465 miles), 1st. open Welsh Grand National, 1st. open Combine Crieff (313 miles), 2nd. open Welsh Grand National, 2nd. open Combine Lerwick (577 miles) and winning two new cars.

John races his team of 24 pairs on the natural system. He is a carpenter by trade and built his 24ft. Ply loft himself, and in the winter months pins plastic sheets on the front to keep out the harsh Welsh winter weather. The main families raced are the Belgium family of Denys and these are paired up in March with the long distance races in mind. John feeds a first class heavy mixture and the birds are exercised around the loft for one hour, twice a day.

Eighteen pairs of stock birds are kept, which are paired up in December and all the new introductions in to the brick built stock loft have to be outstanding long distance performance birds of any strain. John has been racing over 20 years, starting with the Dordins in the Abergavenny Inv. Club and has never looked back. He told me his biggest thrill was clocking from Lerwick (577 miles) for the first time, and his most disappointing experience was seeing a Peregrine Falcon kill one of his premier pigeons. Because of the bird of prey problem in his area the old birds get very little training, but are worked before the major National races. He says many pigeons are lost on training tosses in the Welsh Valleys, but have to be trained at some time, so the fanciers ‘bit the bullet’ and give the birds a lot of training in a short time. His 60 young birds get lots of training, with some help from his wife, who is very interested in the pigeons. John has had outstanding success with his hens in the long distance Nationals and likes to send them sitting heavy on eggs or feeding a small youngster. When I asked what he thought of eyesign, his reply was as long as they have got two, they have a good eyesign.
Andy123

February 17th, 2018, 7:41 am

John Smale is a good long distance fancier and often appears in the results in the BICC
rainbow

February 17th, 2018, 8:18 am

see new introductions are I would think proven racers

Return to “Chat Racing Pigeon”